Chapter 34

Is anybody besides me reading this?

Gersemi's POV

My mum had been very...upset and easy to annoy. I wasn't sure why but something told me it had something to do with our visit to Uncle Tony only a few days ago. Everyone else was hurrying around the new compound and trying to get things done but considering they didn't know what they were making it was hard. That was until Uncle Tony came around one day.

"Everyone! Tony has come to help us," Uncle Steve yelled and we all stopped and turned to face him. I looked up from my drawing to see him standing, almost sheepishly, at the entrance to our main building room.

Tony gave a snarky but general greeting then walked over to my mum, who was reading about quantum physics. "I'm going to try," He whispered to her and then went to the others. I walked towards my mother and tried to stay close to her at all times because I was nervous and a little overwhelmed. There were so many people in the room and it was honestly kinda stressful.

"Mumma, what are they making?" I asked and she shrugged softly. "You don't know?" I asked just to confirm that she really didn't know.

"I don't think they know," She said and smirked slightly. I smiled too and lent on her as I continued to draw.

"Why are they building it?" I asked my mum and she sighed.

"Semi, you know how I tell you stories about your daddy?" She asked and I nodded. "Well what Uncle Bruce and Uncle Tony are trying to build might make it possible for your daddy to come back to us and meet you." She answered with a loving smile. I wasn't sure what she meant but I got most of it.

"So daddy could come home?" I asked to confirm what she meant and my mum nodded. "I'm going to make daddy a surprise for when he comes home," I said, having a lot of awesome ideas on gifts to make for my dad.

"Sounds like an awesome idea, do you need my help?" She asked and I thought about it. I would need her help for a few things but otherwise I would be able to do it on my own.

"I need photos," I said and she nodded. "Of Daddy, grandad and of me and you. Lots of them," I added and my mum nodded again.

"I'll get them now," She said and teleported away to get the photos. No more than 2 minutes passed when she came back to me with a handful of photos. "There you go," She said and I smiled.

"Thank you," I said and hurried away into the room mumma and I had been given. Time to start my special surprise project for my dadda.

Freya's POV

Semi ran off somewhere with the photos and I saw the cheeky look on her face. I felt like maybe I had made a mistake but I was excited to find out what she was going to make. I turned back to my book to begin reading again when Nat decided to talk to me. "You don't need to read that," She said and sat next to me.

"I know but if I don't then I can't help. Although they won't let me help anyway," I said and decided to just put the book down for now. It was incredibly boring too so I didn't feel bad about abandoning it. "How's the...Time heist plan going?" I asked, still not being sure that I liked the name.

"Good apparently," Nat said and watched the boys faf about with the weird machine they were making. Tony wanted them all to follow what he was trying to do and Bruce was kinda doing that. Steve did not understand what they were doing and well Scott was just getting in the way at most points. "Yeah, idiots," She said and I nodded in agreement.

"Smart Idiots," I responded and she gave me a look that said 'You sure about that'. I chuckled and Nat pointed to Scott. Scott was currently standing and watching Tony tinker with something while giving disapproving looks and trying to point out things Tony was doing wrong. Tony's nano tech arm appeared and he aimed it at Scott. With a look of fear and regret in his eyes, Scott backed away with his hands up.

I shook my head softly with a small laugh. I rested my head on Nat's shoulder and she put an unsure arm around me. We stayed like that only for a minute because pretty quickly Gersemi came back into the room singing her favourite song 'I think I'm gonna like it here' as she skipped.

"Do you think this will work?" I asked Nat and I felt her shrug slightly. "What if everything goes wrong or we don't succeed?" I asked but she said nothing in reply. "I can't lose what I have found," I said and sighed heavily watching my daughter colour and hum happily.

"Everything will be fine, We will get the stones and win the upcoming fight," Nat said and put an arm around me. I heard and understood her words but I felt that she didn't fully believe what she had said.

"It's ready!" Tony yelled and we all hurried over to the machine. Everyone crowded around and Tony told us that he believed it was ready and he needed someone to test it out. Before any of us volunteered, Clint's voice appeared out of nowhere. We all turned to see him coming towards us looking serious as hell.

"Clint," I said and nodded at him as he walked past us as a greeting.

"Are you sure?" Tony asked him and Clint nodded. "Alright then, Bruce and Rhodey can help you put the suit on," Tony said and they went off to get Clint in the suit and was given the test supply of the pym particles.

"Are you sure this is safe?" I asked and looked at Tony who just gave me a 'we're about to find out' sort of look that really did not make me feel better. "We're all gonna die," I muttered and walked away from them to wait for Clint to come back.

Not long later Clint came back looking determined. I gave him a 'good luck' look. He nodded at me and stepped up onto the machine, ready to go. A few words of encouragement and he was sent back in time.

We were all waiting for him to come back. We all stood in complete silence and none of us moved a muscle. Clint came back kneeling on the floor holding a sports mit. We all hurried over to him and I knelt down next to him. "It worked," He said softly and we all smiled.

It had Worked.

We had a real fighting chance at succeeding this thing.

We could win!

Published: 28.12.2022