Chapter 22

Freya's POV

I woke up to Gersemi crying her eyes out. I sighed, sat up and picked her up carefully from the crib. I tried to figure out what was wrong and eventually I decided to try and feed her. I pulled a small blanket over my chest and prepared to feed her. She latched on right away and was clearly hungry. It felt super weird but also kind of nice. I had someone who was completely dependent on me for everything. I was the whole world to this baby and I was going to do the best I could for her.

I sat and hummed random tunes as Gersemi drank. I thought of my past, my future and I thought a lot about Peter and how much I missed him. I thought of my father who would have loved to have met his granddaughter. I thought of the Avengers we lost to Thanos and wished they were still with us. I thought about my mother...my beloved mother who died when I was only nine. I saw her face appear in my head and I smiled at her.

I admired my mother and how strong she had been to give birth to me and raise me on her own for nine years. Yes she had help from friends like Mrs Stone but they weren't around 24/7 to help her. She fought for me to stay safe and even though I wish she had told me about my father I understood why she couldn't.

I was in a similar situation to my mother. Our lovers were not in the picture to help with the baby and we would have to do it ourselves. My father hadn't been able to help out due to him being a prince and having a scary father while Gersemi's father was dead. My father was dead now too. I sniffled softly and smiled at my baby. I'm going to do my best to make you happy and to keep you safe. I thought and kissed Gersemi's forehead lightly.

Gersemi finished drinking and looked very sleepy so I placed her back in her hospital crib and laid down myself to try and get more sleep. I dreamt of my family and everyone I had lost. My mother, my father, my Peter, my grandmother, my grandfather even though he wasn't all that pleasant. I had lost many of my friends to Thanos and many Asgardian citizens were lost because of Thanos or Hela.

******

I woke up to a light knocking on my hospital room door. I looked to see Nat stepping into the room. "Hey," I said and slowly sat up properly.

"Hey, how's the new mum and baba?" Nat asked and I laughed slightly. Nat walked in and sat at the end of the bed. "For you," she said and put a small bunch of flowers on the bedside table.

"Thank you." I said and smiled at her. "Would you like to hold her?" I said and Nat nodded slowly. I lifted my daughter from her hospital crib and carefully handed her to Nat. Nat was clearly nervous about it but she carefully held my baby close to her body. "Meet Gersemi Petra Sigyn Frigga FreyaDottir. It's long I know but..." I said and Nat smiled.

"Each name has significance. I like it." She said and smiled. I nodded and smiled softly. Gersemi Petra Sigyn Frigga FreyaDottir is with me now. I just wish you could see her Peter, you too father. I thought and watched as Nat gently bounced Gersemi up and down. "Guess who came to meet her." Nat said and I gave her a questioning look.

As I was about to ask who had come when Steve, Thor, Rhodey, Nebula, Rocket, Carol, Bruce, Tony and pregnant Pepper walked into the room. They all said a quick hello before either standing or sitting throughout the room. Pepper got the chair beside my bed while the rest of them found a spot near a wall or on the floor.

"Hello everyone." I said as Nat handed me Gersemi back. "Meet Gersemi Petra Sigyn Frigga FreyaDottir." I said and they all smiled at the names. Even Nebula smiled even though she didn't know the significance of any of the names.

"She's beautiful." Thor said and took Nat's place at the end of my bed. I slowly handed Gersemi to My uncle and he reluctantly held her. "I won't break her will I?" He asked and I chuckled and shook my head.

"Just be gentle," I said and watched as the others slowly stepped closer to Thor to see the baby better. "Everyone can hold her." I said and one by one they held her for a minute before moving her along.

As Tony held her she started to cry. Tony looked unsure and slightly scared about what to do now that he was holding a crying baby. He quickly handed her back to me. "Sorry," Tony mumbled as I held her and tried to calm her.

"It's okay, it's not your fault." I said and smiled at him. Rocket came over to me, climbed onto the bed next to me and sat there looking at Gersemi. He smiled at Gersemi and once she was calmer he got to hold her. He liked her. Gersemi wrapped her little hand around his paw and everyone 'aww'ed at the sight.

Rocket held Gersemi for a while but when the Doctor came in everyone had to go. Thor stayed behind as he was my uncle and the doctor only let one other person in my room with me. Just before they left we took a big group photo with me holding my daughter with a happy sad smile.

Everyone said goodbye and Rocket was rather reluctant to hand my baby back to me. I knew he wasn't going to do anything to her, he just seemed sad and lonely even.

They did a medical check over me and Gersemi. We were both perfectly fine and had nothing to worry about. Once we were all clear we were told to rest. "Get lots of rest while you can." The doctor said with an oddly concerning smile before leaving.

"I'll leave you to sleep. We will come back tomorrow." Thor said before kissing my forehead then Gersemi's and left my room. I put Gersemi in her crib then got comfortable. I was glad that it was time to sleep. I was exhausted and really needed some rest.

Published: 28th of April 2022