Adjusting

It had been three months.

Three months since she had moved away. Some days, Eve got up and made her way through the day. Some weeks, she just lay covered in blankets, unseeing to the world around her.

Azriel came and visited her at least 3 times a week- if he was not away on his spy missions. When he was absent, one of the Inner Circle members, Bri or Nesta found themselves knocking on her door. Eve let Az in, always- it was his house after all. His company was soothing too.

She only let Mor and Feyre in once. They had tried to make her get out for some time. She decided to pretend to be asleep whenever they knocked again. Rhys had dropped by twice or so to see if she had settled in- she let him.

The door was always open for Nesta though- with her sharp knock Eve could make sure it was only her and let her in. They would sit in silence when Nesta got books with her or would simply sit and make small sarcastic conversations- both escaping their past memories for a while.

Today, the knock sounded different. Heavier. Eve peered from the hole to find Cassian standing determined. She cautiously opened the door. He entered without saying a word and Eve looked at him expectantly. "Azriel is out for a few days, thought I would drop by."

Eve stiffened. "I do not need a babysitter." Cassian' eyes widened as he realised how it had sounded. "No! No, I meant- I just wanted to see you. I don't think you need a babysitter-" Eve raised a brow at his frazzled state and simply turned and walked to sit on the couch. Cassian followed.

"How have you been?" he asked her. Irritated, Eve said, "is it evening?" Cassian raised his brows this time, his eyes going from her to the window, wondering if she had gone mad stating the obvious. "Don't ask obvious questions then," she hissed. Cassian' mouth formed an 'oh' before he proceeded to his next question, or more like a statement. "You are starting training." Eve head whipped towards him, "says who?"

"Me."

Eve snarled. "No."

"It was not a question," he gave her a shit-eating smile, knowing she couldn't resist to bite back. "No. Now, get. Out."

"It will be good for you. You haven't left this apartment for months! You need exercise, and you liked it once. Remember when you had asked me to train you? Why not now?" he exclaimed and fire ignited in her eyes. "Get. Out." She demanded, standing up. Cassian mirrored her stance but did not budge. Her voice near guttural, she said, "it was not a request." Before Cassian could say anything, the apartment door barged and Azriel came in, panting. Eve did not even ask him why he was in such a state. She simply glared at him and said, "take your lap dog with you. Out."

Cassian' face sported disbelief and hurt at that. She had never called him anything disrespectful. Shaking his head, he said once again, "I know you are hurting. Let us help you. Come tomorrow at the townhouse by seven. If not then, I will keep persisting." Cassian said but he knew this was the first and last time he would make this offer judging by the look Az sported on his face at the moment- he was furious and his glare killed.

Eve simply pointed towards the door before going to her bedroom and slamming the door shut. That night, her nightmares plagued her once again. Her nightmares where she was helpless, where she had been given no choice but to participate and be a part of the war, unwillingly. And today, Cassian had done the same.

The next day came and went by but Eve did not go to train. Someone had knocked on her door but she had not deigned to open it. They had persisted for a few minutes before taking the hint and leaving. The entire day, her mind was snagged with Cassian and his offer to train. She wanted to- it felt good but at the same time, she never wanted to step out of this apartment and pick up a knife or a sword ever. The last time she had casually trained was with Mike- who was now dead. The last time she had held a knife was to kill the King in the war which had taken so much from her. So no, she did not feel like entering the training field anytime soon.

A knock at the door. She ignored it. A sigh came, she ignored it. Silence. Then, a paper was slipped through, sliding across her wooden floor. Hesitantly, she went and picked it up. It was addressed to her by Nesta. The receding footsteps sounded just as she removed the wax to read the content of the letter. It was short and simple, telling her about Nesta' new whereabouts. A small apartment in the desolate area of Velaris. Sighing, she tossed the letter aside, silently promising to visit later. She was about to go sleep again- she did not do much else these days- when another knock sounded. Giving out a frustrated groan, she peered through the peephole to see Rhysand.

"I know you are in there." His voice came. Cursing, she opened the door. "Rhysand," she greeted him. He dipped his head and entered. "Solstice is coming," he said. Eve did not respond, waiting for him to continue. "You are showing up at the celebrations?"  A request he hoped she would say yes to but Eve' expression was enough of a response to tell him she was not planning on coming. "We miss you, and I know you miss a normal time too. Come. It is in three days and I hope you deign us with your presence, little sister." Eve sucked in a sharp breath at that. "I will see," she finally settled on responding for there was some truth in what Rhys had said- she missed them. The response was enough for Rhys as he gave her a wide smile and handed her lunch for two. Eve sighed; it was to be a long afternoon- dining with the High Lord. 

Happy reading :)

XOXO,

the amazing author who has a newfound love for cheesecake