Fae cycles suck

"Today is awfully slow," Eve groaned, lying on the bed. "That is because you are on your cycle." Mor replied, manicuring her nails. "I hate this, my back hurts, my stomach hurts, my legs hurt." Eve whined. It was never this bad when she was human but now, it seemed to have grown ten times worse and boy, did she hate it. Sure, it happening in six months gap was a huge relief, it still did not help ease the pain and tiredness she was feeling.

"Here, I bought food," Az said, opening the door just as a gush of wind came giving her respite. The windows were wide open and she was covered in a blanket, her feet feeling like ice. "No, I don't want to eat," Eve whined, getting more and more irritated as the day passed by. Az frowned, "you haven't eaten anything since the morning." Eve violently shook her head.

"Don't you guys have work to do? Go, I will be fine," Eve said instead. Azriel shook his head; he wasn't leaving when his mate was in such a state. "We are free today, luckily," Mor said just as Eve let out another groan, clutching her stomach. "I feel like shit," she said and was about to add something more when she had to jump out of the bed, run to the bathroom and vomit all the contents of the previous night. Mor gagged at the sight but held her hair in a pony. After Eve was done, Azriel handed her a wet tissue which she gratefully accepted and let him help her back to bed. "Call Madja," Az told Mor who nodded and left.

"You guys trouble her for every small thing," Eve mused. "She is the family healer." "I think I am going to sleep for some time..." she mumbled before closing her eyes.

***********

"Just one more sip and I will take you to a play, a good one this time," Azriel bargained when Eve refused to drink the tea Feyre had made her. "It tastes bitter," Eve tried, "can't you add sugar?" Az shook his head. "Drink this and then you can take the painkillers," he tried again, patiently waiting for her to agree. After another cramp, Eve agreed but not before making a face towards the tea. Rhys had tried keeping his wince in at that while Feyre had argued she had followed the recipe exactly.

"Ok, give me the painkillers," Eve gasped out. She had drank the whole cup in one gulp, not wanting to taste it. Feyre handed her the pill which she took quickly. After swallowing a few more than recommended, she sighed. "Fae periods are a pain," she groaned and Feyre agreed. "Well, rest for now," Rhys said and left, Feyre following.

Azriel stayed by her side, a stoic expression on his face. Suddenly, Eve giggled. He raised his brow but didn't say anything. "You look so serious," she said. Right, the painkillers had side effects such as making one delirious and sleepy. "Oh look, I am the Spymaster, so intimidating," she said in a deep voice and Azriel looked at her unamused. Eve laughed at that. She motioned him to come forward and he did. When her hand touched his face, he took in a sharp breath, suddenly very still. She moved his lips upward and smiled satisfyingly. "You look pretty when you smile," she said. "Pretty?" Az asked, his brows raised. Eve nodded seriously, "pretty cute."

********

Azriel blushed as he recalled when she had called him pretty. That was four days ago and yet, every time he thought of what she had said, he couldn't stop the hope and joy that bloomed in his chest. Right now, they were all heading out for dinner. He walked leisurely while Cassian and Mor bickered in front of him.

He felt her presence before he saw her- with Nesta, coming out of Velaris' public library. The two seemed engrossed in a book about Prythian, his shadows informed. Cassian must have noticed them too for he stopped and stared in the same direction. He started making his way towards them but Mor stopped him, shaking her head. Cassian just stood and stared. If they noticed them, they did not show. Nesta had her usual stone-cold expression while Eve had a nervous air around her along with a tinge of anticipation.

Azriel made his way to where they stood, his legs having a mind of their own. "Evening," he greeted them both, dipping his head in acknowledgement. Nesta stiffened, if the Shadowsinger was around, the rest of his gang wouldn't be too far. Dipping her head once, she left, making her way to her frequented tavern.

Eve watched her friend go and sighed. "She needs a good push," she muttered under her breath before turning to meet Az' gaze. "What's up?" "We were going to have dinner at Rita's, want to join?" he asked hopefully. Eve shook her head, feeling a bit guilty at declining his offer. "I think I'm going to head home and finish reading this," she replied, holding the book in the air. Az scrutinized the cover before asking, "any reason you are suddenly interested in Prythian' tourist places?" Eve' eyes widened- she hadn't planned on telling them so soon, hell, she came up with the decision only minutes ago. "No reason, just curious," she said, hastily adding, "you should tell Cassian to stop staring at Nesta like that though. Looks creepy and... Nesta is a viper if she wants to be." And even though she said it to keep Az curious glance off her book, she meant what she said. Cassian was her friend and she did not like seeing him hurt. 

Happy reading :)

XOXO,

the amazing author who has 5 more papers left