There is light in the dark

His shadows had told him she was near. He had gone out and waited for her, excusing himself from the celebrations for a while. To his impatience, she had spent at least ten minutes circling the area before actually making her way to the entrance. Finally, he had exclaimed to himself. His mate was finally here and she looked.... Drop dead gorgeous.

She wore a dark green dress that came till her knee. It was a normal dress of a normal design- but to him, she looked exceptional in it. The dress trailed a bit behind her and her hair was tied into a half bun with locks travelling down her face. Her jawline was as pronounced as ever and her eyes had dark kohl around them. With silver heels, a tiny silver pendant around her neck and a matching earring along with a few rings, she walked towards him.

He remembered telling her everyone was inside and he was glad she had come, his shadows already dancing around her as she approached him. At first when that had happened, his family had given him hell, curious about why they were reacting so to the human girl when they hadn't ever been like that- even with Mor. He himself had been dumbfounded but soon, he stopped minding it. Besides, Eve liked them. He became giddy even thinking about that precious fact. Soon, he did not try to restrain his shadows from going towards her, not when they seemed to care about her just as much as he did.

She had motioned him to sit next to him once she herself had settled next to Cassian. He had happily obliged. She placed her hands in his and he felt something indescribable- she did not care that he had scars.

Though, he had noticed how she had tensed up when she saw Varian, he let it go. Step by step. She would heal. He would make sure of it. She was strong, his mate.

Her laughter at seeing what Cassian had gotten Mor warmed his heart even as he himself choked on his whiskey. Cassian had to work on his gift giving skills.

The sharp knock at the door had stopped everyone. Nesta Archeron- his shadows informed. Cassian had stood and went to stand near the fireplace and even when he didn't want to leave Eve' hand, he too had gone to stand next to him casually- his face not revealing anything.

The tension in the room was palpable as the eldest Archeron had entered.

"Don't take her to the wine—take her to the food," Amren had called to Elain. "I can see her bony ass even through that dress." Az had waited for the outburst then, preparing himself, but none came. Instead, she had merely given Amren signature deadly smile, "pretty earrings."

Nesta had then turned towards where Eve sat with a glass of wine in her hand. "You came after all." He had monitored her every breath even when he knew they were friends... somehow. Nesta shrugged, "it felt like a waste to let this dress settle in dust especially when it is made for royalty. The designer honoured by making it with me in his mind." Eve gulped, some emotion entering her eyes. "Who designed it?" Mor asked. "Mike." Eve had replied, full of love. Az had gulped, feeling her pain, pride and love through the bond. He also saw the sorrow and pity in everyone else' eyes. Eve had taken in a sharp breath and got up from her place and made her way towards Nesta.

Rhys turned towards him then and asked him through his bond, are you okay?

She came, he replied. Rhys nodded, smiling faintly. By the looks of it, she also convinced Nesta to come. She is one of a kind, your mate. Az let his pride surge at that. You better have gotten her something fantastic, Rhys said a moment later. Az eyes trailed to where she once again sat opening Nesta' gift to her, I am not telling you what I got, busybody. Rhys chuckled but left him alone. He had noticed how everyone was staring at Nesta and Eve, making the latter uncomfortable. Leave them alone, he voice to Rhys, annoyed. Nesta too had given them a stare. He had nodded and conversation had resumed once again.