I Spy

Az stood, assessing his two spies, trying to figure who would be a better fit to stay with Eve. Most of his spies were spread thin, all over the continent. He had little to no one to spare but, he would make sure Eve had one of the best in the least.

At one side was Yelena, his most efficient spy. She still had to work on her fighting skills- they were a bit rusty, but she could hold her fort against many at once. On the other hand was Mufasa, a born fighter. His help came in handy when he needed information that only circulated in underground rings. Both were more than good for this job. Now, it was up to Eve.

"Tomorrow, same time," he told them. They nodded and left. Exhaling once, trying to get rid of the tension, he went back to Eve. It was his third day here- Bri had already left and Rhys had been informed of the circumstances. Of course, the High Lord had allowed him to stay here for some time, covering his duties for him, and instead ordering him to do whatever it took to keep Eve safe.

"Hey, come on in, I am trying to make sambar for the dosa," she greeted him. "I narrowed down to two, it's your choice now," he told her, making his way to the kitchen. A notepad lay there, "another one?" he asked her. "Remembered it a few minutes ago, that is the last one," she told him, chewing on an apple. "That equals to six," he said. She nodded as he went through the notes Eve had jotted down.

Prey and the predator. Quite a chase.

Blueberry cheesecakes are my favourite too.

Knock, knock. Who's there? Your dead best friend.

Maven has good décor taste.

I wonder if you had chosen differently, what plan fate would had have for the rest of us.

Do they know what happened in those three minutes? I wonder.

Eve knew that two of the questions in there bothered Azriel. She also knew he knew which one affected her the most. Anyone with two brain cells would know. "Whoever is writing it, blabbers a lot. Don't know what they are getting at," Eve lied as Az scrutinized the page. Az nodded before tearing the page and putting it in his pocket. "When do I get to try this... samburr?" Eve chuckled; the dish sounded weird when Az said it. "A few more minutes," she replied, before going back to the stove.

Az of course knew she was lying but he let it go. What choice had Eve made? What happened in those three minutes? (The only thing he knew was that Eve had managed to bring Rhysand and Amren back- help them by giving a boost of sorts. And Gods, were everyone thankful for it.) Of course, they hadn't addressed any of it yet with Eve who seemed inclined to ignore everything. When was all of this? How did this stranger know about Mike? How dare they hurt her with words and threat like this? Was the male she had seen even from Hybern? The questions were endless and he was getting impatient. So, he had decided to leave in search for answers once Tarquin, upon his request, warded the place and Eve chose which spy would stay with her.

"Oh, Tarquin will be coming by later," he told her, making her whip her head towards him. "WHAT?" "To ward the place. I asked him and he said yes." Eve gave out a scoff, "and you are telling me this now?" she asked him, with a knife in her hand much to his concern. "Well... it may have slipped my mind." Eve scoffed, "you are treading on thin ice, Shadowsinger, thin ice."

**************

Eve stood as Azriel greeted Tarquin. She still couldn't believe that a High Lord was here to ward her apartment. "Thank you for coming," Eve told him, even if you didn't have to. "It is the least I could do after everything you have done for us," he replied. She blushed a bit but accepted the credit nevertheless.

"Do you want to try some dosa?" she asked him when silence ensued. Gods, this was so awkward. Tarquin looked confused. "Its a dish from Eve' native country," Azriel answered, "does not taste bad." "In that case, sure," Tarquin said. Eve excused herself, glad she did not have to stay, mentally visualizing ways in which she could punch Azriel for calling Tarquin here in the first place.

After another half an hour of initial bouts of awkwardness and a bit of small talk, Tarquin left, leaving behind a red-faced Eve. "You," she said pointing at Azriel, "you are a dead man walking." Azriel, much to his credit, looked a bit horrified. "You invite a High Lord to my house! I swear any longer and I would've combusted due to embarrassment." Azriel only gave her a sheepish smile.

*******

Azriel stood back as Eve decided which spy she wouldn't mind looking after her. "Yelena," she proclaimed. "And that is your final decision?" he asked; she had not even taken five minutes to decide. Eve nodded. "Now, when can I meet her?" she asked. "Right now," Az said and started walking towards a warehouse. Eve sputtered but followed him. "I am in my lounge wear," she hissed at him. He ignored her. "Azriel, you oaf, at least give me-" Az stopped making her skid a bit. "Oaf?" Azriel scoffed. Eve opened her mouth before closing it again and resorting to shrugging. "Yes, a big, old, giant ass oaf." Az scrutinized her for a moment before picking her up and heading straight into the sky as Eve yelped in surprise.

The dwellers of Adriata only watched with wide-eyed gazes, not used to Illyrian wings in the sky with screaming females cursing them and their wings.

Eve gave out a breath and tried to set her hair which had gone haywire due to the short flight. Keyword on tried. Glaring at Azriel, she went in the storehouse. Azriel followed, with much amusement.

"I hate you," she muttered to him. "No, you don't," he replied. "Right?" he asked hesitantly, his confidence and arrogance vanishing after a second, giving rise to self-doubt and fear that he might have pushed Eve a bit far. Eve sighed, "no, no I don't." And just like that, he was back to his ever stoic and composed self.

Someone landed on the ground from the second storey. Eve squeaked while Az carefully watched as the stranger stood and dusted herself off. "Yelena," she introduced herself. "Oh, hey, I am Eve. Nice to put a face to a name." Eve studied Yelena. She had waist length hair that were in a braid and she seemed to wear purple leathers instead of black like she had assumed spies usually liked. "Nice outfit," Yelena smirked. Az growled lowly but Eve only gave an embarrassing smile. "Nice name," Eve replied, genuinely. This time Yelena who smiled back graciously.

They became good acquaintances soon, much to Az' chagrin. For, Yelena, much to his annoyance would keep asking Eve about how the spymaster was when he was not attending to his duties and Eve would in turn question her about how he was as a mentor. Though on the upside, he would catch Eve blush and smile every now and then. So, it was overall bearable.

********

Azriel stood near the door of Eve's apartment. It was time to leave. He didn't want to. He wanted to stay with her forever, just enjoying life. But instead, he had to go and attend to his duties, had to go back to Night and most importantly, had to continue trying to infiltrate the queen's castle while also figuring out who was after Eve. He would succeed in all, especially the last one- he was sure of it. He just hoped he wouldn't be too late.

"Come back soon," Eve told him, her voice muffled against his shoulder as they held each other. "And for God's sake, stay safe," she added. He smiled against her hair and nodded. "You too and remember-" Eve interrupted him, "yeah, yeah, I know. Keep your eyes open, stay safe, and other such dreadful injunctions..." Az shook his head and sighed.

"I don't want to see a scratch on you the next time we meet," Eve told him, threateningly. Az put his hands up in mock surrender making her scowl even as a smile came over her. with one last hug, she let him go. 

Happy reading!

XOXO,

the amazing author who published another ACOTAR fanfic 

(do check it and give it a go. It is called Hidden in the Shadows for now... I may change the name later.)

A thanks to all who have stayed for so long and encouraged me to continue to write :)