The Band of Exiles

Eve spent the next few days packing, whenever she would remember something she would put it in, all the while helping Bri at the store and visiting Theo at the docks. He was also leaving for a few weeks, apparently.

Az had been silent since the dinner, and his eyes had become a bit dull. Eve had tried to bring him out of it but to no avail. Nevertheless, she was determined to try. At the moment, she was going to visit Nesta. She was the only one who hadn't been told about this newest trip she was taking. Others had all been shocked and surprised by her new desire but had been enthusiastic for her nevertheless.

Presently, she knocked on Nesta' old wooden doors. The sound of locks opening filled the air and Nesta opened the door. Eve gave her a once over- her hair was frizzy and all over the place, her dress seemed like she hadn't changed in days and her apartment reeked of sex and alcohol. Scrunching her face up in disgust, Eve entered.

"You need to clean," she observed as she surveyed the wine-stained couch. Nesta didn't say anything and went back to her book which Eve noticed was the one she had gifted to her on Solstice. Jerking her head towards the book she asked, "like it?" Nesta grunted, "it passes my time."

"You need to start cleaning up," Eve said again, "yourself. How long will you stay in this state?" Eve asked, gesturing to the general depraved state of the surroundings. "We need to start forgiving ourselves and the world because it won't lead us anywhere." Eve said, softly. Nesta looked at her, fire igniting in her eyes, "I don't interfere in your lifestyle, so extend me the same respect." Eve shook her head, undeterred, "I am saying as your friend."

"Then we aren't friends," Nesta snarled. Eve sighed and shaking her head kept the parcel she had bought for Nesta down. "It's chocolate bagels, Bri made them." Nesta still glared at her, though her anger was forced. "I am leaving tomorrow," Eve finally said. Nesta blinked, "and going where?" She demanded. "To the mortal lands where Lucien is staying for some time. From there, I don't know. Maybe I will come back or maybe I will go someplace else," Eve replied. Nesta blinked; she would miss Eve terribly but it was for the best. Nesta knew if she stayed, she might bring Eve down with her so it was a good thing Eve was leaving. Alone.

"Stay safe," is all Nesta said. Eve sighed but nodded, "I will write to you, you better write back," and with that she left, making her way back to her apartment.

Az was waiting for her outside her apartment. She blinked in surprise and rapidly walked towards him. "Hey," she greeted, looking up at him, tilting her head. "Hi," he said, his eyes holding something intense. "You are leaving tomorrow morning," he stated and even though it wasn't a question, she nodded. He gulped but did not move away from the door. "Az?" Eve said, he stared at her. "I need to open the apartment door," she said, smiling a bit. Nodding, he finally broke their eye contact and stepped aside.

Opening the door, she asked, "do you want something to eat?" "No." "Drink?" "...sure." Without him telling, she handed him a glass of whiskey while she removed some wine for herself. "Why are you so somber today?" she asked after a few small sips. He didn't reply. Sighing, she hopped off the stool she was sitting on and made her way to where he stood. Taking his head in her hands, she asked again, "what is it?"

Az breath in her scent, letting it steady his rising tide of emotions. Her touch felt like home to him. "I am going to miss spending time with you," he said, telling the truth. A part of him was also afraid that she would like the places she went to so much that she would not return to the Night Court- to him.

"I know, I'll miss you too, but, it's not like I am going to vanish; I am going to write every now and then," she said. He nodded. She looked at him for a few more moments before making herself comfortable on the ground, her back towards the couch. Az went and sat next to her.

"Tell me something Shadowsinger," she hummed while pouring herself some more wine. He gave her a glance, "what do you want to know?" She shrugged, "anything."

**********

She stood in front of their manor with her bags on the ground. Azriel had come with her. Rhys and Feyre too had insisted on coming but Eve had shook her head in denial- she did not need a whole going away parade with her.

Lucien greeted her at the door, "hey, it's good to see you." "You too," Eve said, trying to give a proper smile which came out more like a grimace- she was a bit anxious about this now that she was actually here. "Jurien is inside.... Still sleeping," he sighed making her chuckle a bit. "Shadowsinger," he greeted. Az dipped his head in acknowledgement. "Come on in then," Lucien said, once again turning towards Eve. She nodded and with one last side hug to Az, she walked away.

Az stood there for a while, his shadows making sure she had settled down alright and without any hostile or uncomfortable situation. Only after he was satisfied did he winnow back, sighing; his mate now miles away from him.

*********

Jurian studied her with his head tilted as she sat and took a sip of the orange juice. She noticed his stare soon though, and gave him the same predatory glance he was giving her. He chuckled but didn't break the contact. It was only broken when Lucien came into the room and whacked him on his head lightly, "leave her alone." Eve shrugged his defence off, "I don't mind, its nothing I can't handle." Jurien smiled wickedly at that.

"How are you faring at the Night Court?" he asked. "Fine," she replied. "Then why are you here?" Eve chuckled at that question even as Lucien stiffened a bit, knowing the question had deep-rooted answers. "They treat me as if I am a fragile glass- I am sick of it ... and because change is good," she said honestly. Jurien shook his head at that, "they have a reason," he too had seen and heard the stories of the Lady of Ice and Fire.

"Maybe but that doesn't mean I can't hate it," that I can't hate myself, she added silently. "In that case," Jurien started, "prepared to be treated as an exceptionally ordinary person." Eve gave him a grin at that. Lucien smiled faintly- his friend was finally breaking out of her shell.  

Happy reading :)

XOXO,

the amazing author