To mend a broken heart

"Hi." She spoke. Her hands were wringing together and she stood there looking half in the mind to run again. But Az had gotten a chance to explain the misunderstanding; he would not let this chance go. Stepping aside, he let her in.

She looked around- anywhere instead of him. "Here," he said hastily, pulling out a chair for her to sit on. She shook her head, "I would like to- I would just prefer to stand." Right.

"Eve," he started. She wouldn't look at him though. "Eve," he pleaded again. She was looking at his feet- shaking her head in denial. "Look at me, love." Her mouth wobbled as he took a small step ahead. "Please."

"You kissed her." All her breathe seemed to come in pants now. "You kissed her while I was in our room and you did not have the decency to get it over with me first." She hadn't meant to explode but something inside her broke free at seeing him again.

"I didn't kiss her," he replied. She scoffed. "I didn't kiss her. I promise. I did not kiss her- she kissed me."

"Well, you didn't push her away either, did you?"

"No," he admitted guilt to that, "I was too shocked at first."

"You didn't tell me either."

"No," he winced, "you and her were just becoming friends and I wasn't sure how I should tell you. I spent the entire night thinking but celebrations were ongoing and I did not want to ruin the mood."

Her laugh was harsh- and piercing. "Well, congra-fucking-tulations. You did! And now we are over! Happy? Satisfied? Fuck you, Azriel." She wouldn't cry in front of him. No, that would be unacceptable and unforgivable.

He couldn't bare it anymore- her hurt, her pain, her doubt of his faith and his love for her. This was escalating far too quickly for his liking. He got onto his knees. Never. He would never give her up.

Eve could only gasp as he went on his knees. He let his head go down- male declaring defeat. "What on Earth are you doing? Are you out of –"

"I am sorry," he said. "I am sorry I hurt you. I am sorry I did not tell you. I am sorry you doubted me. But give me another chance. Please. You are my- everything. Don't go. I refuse for us to be over."

His eyes were near watery when she came down on her knees too- eyes wide and wild. "Azriel," she said helplessly. "I don't- I-"

"Give me another chance. Say you will." She stayed silent- short sobs coming in here and there. "I did not kiss her. And when I realised what was happening, I pushed her away. I am sorry I did not tell you but I will not have anyone doubt my love for you." He said, furious and teary and determined.

"You mean that? And you better not be lying." Fragile hope. He nodded his head. Slowly, oh so slowly, did her hands come forward to cup his face. "My Az."

"Your Az," he agreed. Completely, utterly, always hers. He looked at her, eyes burning as they bore into hers.

Eve took in a sharp breath as he looked up. His striking eyes boring into hers with so much agony and love. Something shifted in her chest then- and a word came into her mind, spoken by Mother herself. She gasped.

"Mate."

********************

Eve gulped. "How long have you known?" She had seen his reaction although in shock and she prided in thinking that she knew him better than others. And that it had been shock on his face but with it, there had also been quiet determination and resignation of some sort. Like it had been a secret he had not wished to tell her in this way.