Recovery

In one blink and other, Azriel saw his mate- already on the verge of collapsing- fainting on the ground just as a babe's cry filled the room. In an instant, he slipped his hand around her waist- inches from the ground. He looked at Nesta- questioning. Rhys was holding Feyre and Mor was handing him the babe- the babe. All three of them had survived. Rhys was thanking Nesta. How the tables turn. Azriel let himself close his eyes for a second of relief. To take it all in and be relieved that he wouldn't be losing his family anytime soon. And then, he opened his eyes to his mate.

"Eve?" Someone called out. "She needs help," Az said, standing up with her in his arms. Rhys nodded- eyes shining with tears and gratitude and worry. Nesta hurried to their side, "it was the objects. She was," Nesta gulped, "it as if she had to go against herself to keep from duelling me for the Trove. She hit herself with her own magic. The Trove didn't work on her." Rhys looked up from where he was sitting, "take her to the healers. See what they can do. I will join soon." Az nodded, and made his way out after whispering to Nesta, "you are telling me what happened- in detail." She nodded. Good.

And so he took to his shadows, tearing through the world within with one sole thought directing it all- Eve.

*************************

She knew where she was before she opened her eyes. His scent lingered all around her but she could hear no one. Her body felt weak- weak in a manner she had days after she had been made. Weak in the way she once used to feel after playing outside as a child for hours from late afternoon till night. Oh, those were the days.

She opened her eyes slowly. The curtains had been drawn and so it was easier to adjust to her surroundings. To her right was Madja- did that female ever take a day off? But other than her, no one else. "How are you feeling?" Madja came near and taking her hand in hers, she checked the pulse. Eve nodded, "alright." The headache that had been there since the Island and Koschei was certainly gone. "Tired, but alright." Madja hummed. Eve let her prod about for a minute or so before asking, "how is everyone else?"

A smile came on the old face. "The High Lady and the babe are both healthy. Lady Nesta and Cassian are also fine." Eve waited but Madja didn't say anything more. Impatient, she asked "And Az?" Madja shook her head, "he has been awake for the past three days and had barely even slept before." Eve gulped, already wanting to run, find him and hug him. "Where is he?" Eve asked. If he was visiting her- he must be around here somewhere. Madja glanced at her, "I suggest two more days of rest." At Eve's huff, she continued, "they are all in the House, waiting. The Spymaster's shadows are guarding the door- and that's why no one has barged in yet." She could've sworn Madja' eyes twinkled at the end.

Eve slid out the bed. "He is in the ring, Lady of Shadows," Madja said to her. Eve smiled, "ever taken a vacation Madja?" The healer's chuckle carried her till the door, and she felt a bit better about facing everyone.

The shadows parted as she opened the door, cooing and caressing and apologizing. One grazed her cheek. "How bad is it?" she whispered to them. Some of them went cold at her question, and some hid around her. Not good, then. Guilt was there, and so was quiet fury. She took a few more steps and Rhys who had been sitting in his chair, facing the window stood up and turned around. The shadows had done more than just keep her conversation hidden then.

"You should be resting," he said, coming up to hug her. "And you should be with your family." He didn't let go, "I am," he said instead. Eve felt her heart go warm. Before she could get another word in, his scent hit her and then, there, shrouded in darkness and bruises was Az.

He wasted no time in coming up to her, taking her by the cheek and kissing her senseless. She revelled in it. "You should be resting," he said and she near rolled her eyes. "So you boys say," she said, "but since Madja didn't object my walking, I think I will be fine." Az, instead of lightening as she had hoped, furrowed his brows and took a step back. And she knew, she knew what he was doing. How he intended to punish himself. So, before he could run away like a coward, she took his hand and held it tightly. "I have been asleep for a while, Spymaster. I want you to tell me everything that I have missed." No talks yet- at least none that required intimacy.