Pave the way

Azriel was concerned. He came to the House- his daily work dealt with- only to find Eve with a frown on her face, sitting on the ledge- his shadows going to her instantly.

"I don't really like wallowing," Eve told him, expressionless now. He nodded, concerned as to where this was going. "Why are you?" he asked softly. "I am sorry," she whispered and he shook his head, "it's alright." She stayed silent, as if in thought.

"What happened?" he asked, this time with a bit more force. Her face scrunched up, "well, I got pissed off at Nesta. And then I confronted her- in a manner that might not have been the best. But, I was feeling so done that I just needed to let it out. And Elain came today to visit Nesta and it felt so weird to talk to her after so long and... I am tired Az. I tried sleeping it off but the memories came- the ones from the final battle and what-ifs about every thing that could have gone differently."

Az nodded; comprehending. "Can you explain what all you think could have gone differently?" And Eve let out a heavy exhale, her eyes near closing. She leaned into him and he gave a hum of relief at the closeness. "It was about how things would have turned out if something had happened to Rhys or Amren. If they hadn't made it out..."

Az shook his head. "You cannot think like that, Eve. It doesn't do well to dwell so much in the past that you forget your present and future. We survived and won. So, you can stop worrying. And if you want a more logical explanation, what done is done. We can only move on from it."

Eve looked at him then, her eyes boring in his. "I suppose you are right," and he hummed in satisfaction.

Her lips twitched the slightest, "when did you get so smart?" And he chuckled, his hand darting out to play with her hair, "I was always smart; you only noticed it now."

************

Eve decided to visit Rhys early that day- before everyone else also came. She had decided in the early hours of the morning that she would try to open up about all that had occurred. Both- Rhys and Feyre- had been patient but she knew they craved to know and so, Az had dropped her off a few hours early, the rays of the sun hardly touching the horizon.

She entered the house to a retching sound. Feyre, she concluded, while Rhys held her hair beside her. She made her way to the hall after gesturing to a frowning Rhys who nodded, closing the bathroom door.

She found Elain sitting on the couch, already tense. "Good morning," Eve tried. Elain nodded. "How are you?" she asked carefully, as cautious as Eve felt. Their bond was not that great at the moment, both of them not knowing how to salvage the little that is left.

"Fine. How are you? Any seasonal flowers that have bloomed lately?" she asked sincerely and Elain blinked. "Yes, actually. Just this morning." They both smiled a little at that. Every small conversation made seemed like a huge step of progress.

"Maybe I will come see it later," Eve tried and a real smile came on Elain' face even as her mind was now at war with itself. "I would love that. It's beautiful; you will love it." A shuffling sound was heard from the other end of the hall. "Feyre seems to be having a case of morning sickness," Eve mused and Elain nodded. "If one were to assume.. along with the new shield around her that blocks her scent.." Eve trailed off, making eye contact with Feyre who appeared at the doorway with Rhys arm curled protectively against her waist.

"You want to tell me or should I keep guessing?" Eve asked, a smirk forming on her face. Feyre sighed and exchanged a look with Rhys. "Well," a small smile made its way on the couple' faces, "you already know it."

The smirk on her face vanished, replaced by wide eyes and a disbelief laughter. "No way!" Feyre chuckled while Elain and Rhys had proud smiles adorning their faces. "You are?" Feyre nodded her head. "She is," Rhys replied, a very smug smile on his face. And then, Eve squealed. Her voice full of life, laughter and joy. Getting up, she rushed to give Feyre a hug. "How long?" she whispered. "Two months," and Eve swore. "You selfish people! How could you keep this from us?" And Elain' chuckle was heard in the background.