Everiel

Azriel and her had decided to make an evening out of it. It was rare that they got hours at a stretch free so today, when they both did at the same time, of course plans were made. An outing. A date. Call it what you want to.

Eve stood near the balcony- her favourite spot, overlooking the twinkling lights beneath her. At times, they reminded her of New York, or Mumbai. She wondered how her parents and siblings were. Well, she hoped. Turning her head to the stars above, she wished for them to be alright.

Azriel and his shadows were happy. Finally some precious time with his mate. Today was rare. These days, with the queens and Koschei and everything in between, it was getting harder and harder to be alone with her for more than a few hours. A whole evening and night sounded like the best thing right now.

Light hearted, he made his way to where she was. His senses and shadows already cooing. He stood back for a moment or so. As always, she looked devastating. Today she wore a blue dress. A mini dress that made her look divine. Her hair was long these days. Longer than she had ever kept it- till her waist. And if you asked him, she looked as good as always- no matter what hair style she chose to pull off. He could be partial of course, but he dared anyone who said different. Maybe set them up for an eye check-up.

As if sensing him, or tired of waiting, she turned and smiled when she spotted him leaning against the entrance. While his mate had opted to dress up, he had only put his casual shirt on. No suit or any of that sort. Plain and simple.

"The house is oddly silent today," Eve commented. "Maybe Nesta got tired. It was her first day after all." Eve shook her head, "what about Cassian? Brooding? One would think he would be out celebrating his win- however achieved." Eve said, referring to the foolish bargain he had struck with Nesta. Efficient but dangerous. Azriel hummed. "Those two love treading dangerous waters." Eve chuckled but agreed. They were storms daring anyone to cross their path.

"But," Az continued, detaching himself from the wall, "enough about them." He walked slowly, almost lazily to where she stood, hands behind her, leaning against the railing. The shadows were already around her. "Oh?" she asked, suddenly breathless. His hands came around her waist, encasing her. He leaned forward, his lips against his ears, knowing damn well what he was doing. "I want to talk about us." Eve shivered, "what about us?" He hummed, letting his hand roam around her waist.

"I like us," he said bluntly, making her laugh. "Well that's a relief," Eve replied, amused. He blushed. "I meant," he said, lightly pinching her side, "I like how we are together. I like how I am, how I feel when I am with you. I like- no, adore you. Everything about you. This- us- we are amazing together." By now, Eve was looking at him wide-eyed. But he couldn't help it- something had settled in his stomach and with the unscripted tomorrow and he wished her to know how he felt. He had meant the evening to be light and fun but instead, he ruined it. Made it intense. He couldn't meet her eyes.

"That is...," Eve blinked and he cringed slightly. She tried again. "You are.. amazing. Marvellous, Az with some surname. Te adoro, Az." She said, smiling unabashedly. Well that was a relief, he thought as a small smile fought its way to his face.

"I don't have a surname," he informed her. "Everyone has a surname." He shook his head, "not a bastard-born." Eve' face scrunched up but quickly came back to neutral. "So, none of you three have one?" she asked curiously. He shook his head, paying attention to her neck now. She shivered, coming alive at his administrations. "Well then, I suppose we will have to come up with one." He smiled against her. "I suppose."

**********

He scowled internally. Don't get it wrong, he loved his family. He really did. Would and has risked his life for them on multiple occasions. But, did they have to crash his date?