Dark abyss

Eve nervously tucked at her olive-green hoodie as she waited for Nesta to open her door. Solstice was in three days and Rhys had insisted she go so naturally, she was in front of Nesta' door, hoping to maybe convince her to come too. She could use the company.

Slowly, Nesta opened the door and peered outside, squinting when the light hit her face. Eve cleared her throat. "Can I come in?" Nesta blinked in surprise. She let her in. "Did something happen?" Nesta asked. Did something happen that you stepped out of your house in months? Eve gave her a lopsided, self-depreciating smile. "It is time I try to come back to myself," Eve replied. Nesta' expression became unreadable as she silently thanked the powers that Eve had decided to get better. She deserved it- unlike her.

"How are you?" Eve asked carefully. Nesta gave her a sharp look and was about to answer when a knock sounded. Curiosity peaked in Eve as Nesta' face showed confusion- no one ever came here. It came again- a bit impatient. Eve shrugged and motioned Nesta to see who it was while she herself went and made comfortable on the couch. Nesta sighed but went to open the door- only to find Elain standing there.

"Elain," Nesta said, surprised. "What are you doing here? That too alone," Nesta asked, her eyes surveying the surroundings to make sure there was no one lurking in the shadows. "May I come in?" she asked, tentatively. Nesta hesitated but let her in nevertheless.

"Eve," Elain blinked as soon as she came in. "Hello," Eve replied, raising a glass that had some diluted brandy in it- it was getting cold these days. "Did you have to ransack and take my only bottle?" Nesta asked her, raising her brow. "What kind of a friend would I be if I hadn't?" she replied, making Nesta smile a bit. Turning towards her sister once again, Nesta asked, "why are you here?"

"I wanted to talk to you." Nesta raised her brows, telling her to continue when Elain paused, hesitating slightly. "Alone." At this Eve, who was sitting on the coffee table hopped down and went to one of the rooms, claiming she was going to check the view from the window.

"That was unnecessary," Nesta said. Elain stiffened a bit, "what is wrong with me wanting to talk to my sister alone for once?" Nesta sighed at that. "Go ahead then, what is it?"

"Come to the celebrations," she said. Nesta' eyes flashed. "No." Her sharp response made Elain' nostrils flare, "why not? We are your family you know, and we want you there."

"Is that why only you are standing here, asking me to come?" Nesta countered back.

Elain gave out an impatient noise. "You push us away and then blame us when we give you space. You don't talk to anyone these days and are one step closer to becoming a social pariah everyday-" Nesta huffed, interrupting Elain, "I talk to Eve." That seemed to unravel Elain more.

"Oh yes, Eve," she hissed her name like it was a curse. "She isn't the one who stood by you for years and defended you. I was. I am. Your sister, not some random female who failed to do her job at protecting us- who wears a crown of wallowing so that everyone can pity her." Elain spat. Nesta took in a sharp breath as a glass shattered in the room. "Get out Elain." She gave out a scoff. "You are choosing that- that-"

"Say one word against her and I will have your throat," Nesta snarled. Elain scoffed, "remember, I am your sister. Your blood. Not her." And with that, she banged the door close just as Eve appeared in the hall.

"Eve-" Nesta started but Eve stopped her with a short, bitter laugh. "I have to attend the celebrations with her." Nesta gave her a helpless shrug, "I don't know what is up with her. That was not Elain-" Eve held up her hand, making Nesta stop.

"I am not going to make you defend your sister," and with a sigh, Eve made her way to the door. With one last look she opened the door, quietly saying, "it would be nice if you came though," thinking Nesta wouldn't hear her futile wish. But she did.

And Nesta eyed the worn-out dress that Eve had kept on the bed before leaving, her heart changing her answer just a bit.

*******

Eve stumbled through the streets, observing the Fae who bustled, buying last-minute gifts. She supposed she had to buy something for everyone too. Tradition demanded it. But, she could not get herself to focus, not when Elain' voice rang in her head, non-stop.

Failed to do her job.

Elain wasn't wrong. She had failed in so many ways than she cared to admit. She had failed to save Mike who had died protecting the sisters and her. Even then, she had failed to save the sisters, his sacrifice going waste. She had failed to save that nameless child in the battle of Adriata. She had failed to get up and be resilient. She had failed in so many ways. She had failed Mike. Her beloved Mike. Dead Mike. Failure. Disappointment. Ashamed. Good for nothing. Hopeless.

Wears a crown of wallowing so that everyone can pity her.

How long before everyone got tired of her? Before they looked at her in disgust and turned their backs on her. How long before everyone thought she was broken beyond repair- that she was a clock that had outlived her time and was now frozen as the rest of the world moved on, not caring about her desolate state. How long before she was truly alone? How long before she was a zombie, waking up to shades of grey and blue?

Eve stumbled across the Sidra. Someone bumped into her but she paid no attention. She started jogging instead. Running. She ran all the way to Bri' café which she had not visited in months and she collapsed on the stone-cold ground just as the owner of the café opened the door, her eyes going wide. 

Happy reading :)

XOXO,

the amazing author whose exam portion has come (yikes)