Spymaster for a reason

"So, how is- how is everyone doing?" Eve asked, as the three sat, not knowing what to say or do. "The shop is great! As usual," Bri replied, way too enthusiastically.

"You know..." Eve started, "you could open another branch, maybe somewhere outside... you know." Bri blinked- she had never thought of opening a shop outside Velaris. "Your very own food chain," Eve added. "I don't know...." Bri trailed off. She had never been ambitious but the idea did hold some appeal to her. Satisfied, Eve went to pour herself some juice.

Az watched the two friends interact, adding in every now and then. More specifically, he observed Eve. She had seemed out of sorts when they had come but she seemed pretty fine now. His shadows informed him of someone's presence and moments later, a male knocked on the door. He readied himself for anything- something was off but he couldn't put his finger on it. It was irking him. 

Eve excused herself and went to open. What was it with everyone visiting her today? She opened the door to find a familiar face. "You didn't come to work today," he said without any preamble. Eve sighed, "yeah... got a shocking visit from my friends," she said and let him in. Maven being Maven immediately went into his all smiles and smirks mode. Rolling her eyes, she went back to her seat. "Behave," she told him, pouring him some juice. He simply gave her a wolfish smile before turning towards Bri.

"Hello, I am Maven and who might you be?" he asked winking. "Bri," she replied, amused. Az of course, was wondering about the male. Eve had mentioned him a few times in her letter but he still let his shadows surround Maven, making sure he was harmless. The said male turned towards him and offered a small smile, which he did not give back. Maven faltered, and clearing his throat went back to conversing with the two females. Az' eyes found Eve who mouthed 'behave' to him now. Sighing, he tried looking less intimidating and failed. For, in the next few minutes, Maven was already out with Bri with a promise of being her tour guide.

"He seems fine," Azriel commented. Eve nodded in agreement, "he is. Even offered me to stay at his house for a while," she mused. "Why?" Az asked, stiffening. Eve' eyes widened at the slip of the tongue. "Oh you know, I was having trouble with the tap, you know, but its better now," she told him, a bit nervous under his stare.

"Want to go out?" she asked him, not waiting for an answer. He nodded nevertheless, letting Eve take him by the hand.

********

"And this is where I work," she told him, gesturing towards the café, a bit distracted. She knew she was with the Spymaster but she could not help but dart her eyes every now and then to see if the same male showed up. And by her luck, he did not.

Azriel of course, had noticed she was a bit distracted and had also noted how she had kept that piece of paper safely tucked in her closet as she had darted her eyes towards the window before they had left. Something was up and he was determined to know what.

"That is nice but... something is distracting you, isn't it?" he finally asked her, unable to keep it inside any longer, though he was proud of what she had achieved in Summer. "What?! No, nothing, why do you ask?" Eve replied, scoffing. He simply raised his brow in answer. "You have done too much of spy mastering this week and have become paranoid," she replied, shaking her head, composed once again. "I am pretty sure that is not true." Eve did not benign to reply. "I will find out sooner or later," he told him. "And that will be invasion of my privacy," Eve told him, "which I will not tolerate." Az did not have a reply so he just scoffed.

"Come on, let's try some snow cones," she dragged him to the other side of the street where the beach started.

******

They were back in her apartment and a note lay on the table. How stupid is this male, Eve thought, as Azriel scanned the page; had been scanning since the past five minutes. "How long has this been going on?" Azriel asked quietly, making her spine shiver. "It's just some random guy who needs to get a life," Eve said, taking off her coat. Could this male had left the note somewhere more obvious? Right beside where she had been burning the previous one before. "How long?" Az asked again. Eve sighed, and putting her head in her hands, she mumbled, "since two days... after I came back."

Az took in a sharp breath. "And you didn't think it was something to tell us? Tell me?" Eve inhaled deeply, "I am handling it, I don't need you to worry." "That is bullshit!" Az finally exploded, his shadows and wings spreading wide. "You- and right after what happened with Vixen' father, this happens and you don't think it's necessary to inform us?" he asked incredulously. She watched him in shock before shaking her head, letting her annoyance take over. 

"I don't need you two be in every single business of mine! I SAID I AM HANDLING IT!" Eve exploded too. Gods, she hated when Az was angry at her. "And how exactly are you doing that, Eve?" he asked her with the calm he reserved for questioning. Eve shivered once again at his tone. "That is my lookout, and if you don't stop questioning me right now, you will find yourself out of this door in seconds," she said. "Like hell," he snarled. Eve' expression proved she was not bluffing. "You- Cauldron's sake you are a stubborn pain in my ass right now," he swore, running his hand through his hair, Eve noticed with great interest. She didn't reply though, making him more frenzied. She only became expressionless before going to sit down. 

Sighing, trying to calm himself, he walked to where she was sitting and went on his knees so they were face to face. "Please let me help you," he said softly this time. "I am handling it," Eve replied weakly this time. "This person threatened to harm you, Eve, I cannot let that go. I will not." Eve sighed, but did not budge. "What else have they said?" "He has," Eve said. Looking at his furrowed brows she clarified, "it is a him. I chased him once but lost track after a few minutes. He had jet-black hair, expensive boots, and some knives. His hood was on, so I couldn't make much but he seemed to be of average height."

Az nodded; this new information could be helpful. "Why don't we go back to Night," he started and Eve made a protesting sound. "Till I get to the bottom of this." Eve shook her head. She did not want to leave Summer no matter how dangerous it was becoming. Summer was her escape, it was her stupid fantasising way of letting herself bathe in an illusion where she had never had to pick up a sword and fight, where her life had always been like this. No New York, no torn apart families, no war and no- no Mike. A place and time where she had never lost her best friend. here, she was just Eve. 

She was a betrayer and a coward.

"Why don't you want to come back?" Az asked her softly, almost painfully. Eve shuddered, trying to get a control of her emotions. "Here I am someone who never had a past that hurt me. I am just- just living in an illusion." Az' face shown with sympathy. He thought she had been healing- but is it even possible when she is not even acknowledging all that had happened to her? When she is only running from her trauma and pain? "You will have to face it someday," he said. Eve shook her head, not today if she could help it. Not ever.

"Ok, that's alright. You can stay here, it is your choice after all," he said finally, although bitter and she exhaled, calming down a bit. "But for my sake and peace of mind, can one of my trusted spies be on the lookout near you?" he asked, an idea forming in his head. Eve was hesitant but one look into Az' pleading and worried eyes had her giving in. "Only if I meet them first and approve," she said. Az nodded. Compromise. 

Happy reading :)

XOXO,

the amazing author who just got the most major spoiler of HOSAB (those who know it, know it) 

Don't worry, I am not going to spoil it for everyone else just because my luck is not great at this.

.... its like I am a magnet for them. Anyway, I am going to dwell on this crisis now. In solace and silence.