Chapter 37

Training that day with Rhys had its own perks... such as being able to curse him every few minutes. The High Lord had a way of getting to her nerves and she was quick to retaliate. "Again," he ordered her. Trying to reign in her desire to punch Rhysand, she focused on forming a block of ice in her hand. A huge block which she could throw at him. Focusing to the point where it hurt her head, Eve quitting turned to him, "ice is not my forte. Can't we just polish my fire magic?" Rhysand shook his head, "Winnowing, Fire, Ice and Mind-shielding."

Sighing, Eve tried again- trying to connect to her cold magic. It didn't come easily but after much sweat and frustrated grunts, she finally formed a block of heavy ice of perfect perspective. "Done!" Eve exclaimed happily. Rhysand nodded in appreciation before taking the cube and tossing it in the lake that stood near the riverfront house. Eve gave out a shout of protest as she watched her work get drowned- literally. "You are a mean, cranky, old, rude, mean, mean bastard," Eve told him. Rhys simply chuckled, "and insufferable." "That too."

"Now, make a small ice knife." Eve sighed but did as he wanted. The knife did not come as she was expecting but she did not dwell on it as she felt someone try and invade her mind. Hissing, she imagined sending a small fire ball after them, chasing them and burning their ass. The very next second, Rhysand grimaced and the pressure stopped building in her head. "not bad." 

Eve bowed in a flourish.

And that's how the two hours were spent and by the end of it, both of them were exhausted, Eve more so. Wearily, she made her way to the river front house to eat something before she went and met with Bri- whom she had promised to help around the café. It wasn't like Eve had much to do these days. Then, she would join the others again for dinner and maybe see Az then- if he came back that is.

Feyre was already there, eating strawberries. And when Eve went to hug her, she was met with a shield. Raising her brow, she looked at her expectantly. "Rhys is practicing his shielding." Feyre explained. Eve hummed suspiciously. "Any specific reason why?" Rhys who had just entered drawled, "I am a High Lord. I am always in need for protection." "Does not answer my question." Eve replied. "No specific reason that you need to worry yourself about. Your training on the other hand..." Eve glared at him before turning back to the fruits that lay on the table. "You would think a leader would be charismatic and an idol but here you are...." Rhys flipped her this time while Feyre laughed and in true fashion, defended her mate, "he has his days." The scowl on Rhys' face only deepened.

*********

Eve roamed the halls, searching for Nesta who had been avoiding her for the past few days, no doubt angry at her. She found her in the library, fuming at the walls. Not wanting to know why, Eve jumped straight to the point. "If you are waiting to shout at me... do it fast. I miss my friend." Nesta glared at her but didn't reply. "Dinner's ready," Eve tried again. Nesta nodded at that and got up. "How's training? And that bruise decorating your face?" Eve asked, trying to make conversation. "Fine. Gazing at them while they train does exercise my eyes." Nesta replied, ignoring the later question. Eve snorted, "maybe start exercising your hands and legs too." Nesta gave her a suggestive smirk which had her holding up her hand, "I meant physically. Wait no, that's not any better. You know what I mean!" Nesta' amusement only increased making her huff. "Get your mind away from there, you horny person."

"Why aren't you training?" Nesta demanded. "I am," Eve replied, "but I am training here. Az has been helping me for the past few days." Nesta did not reply but then, "I won't train in that village," Nesta said, her smile fading, after a moment. Eve sighed but since they reached the hall, did not push her further. Instead, she went and sat down beside Azriel. The silence was thick and palatable. Eve hated it so she tried, "how long will you be gone?" she asked Az. "I'm not sure," he said, looking at her softly before turning to Nesta, his eyes boring into hers. "Vassa was right to suspect something deadly amiss. Things are dangerous enough over there that it would be wiser for me to keep my base here at the House and winnow back and forth." Fucking Koschei. Az hands found hers below the table.