Azriel's day out

Azriel stood outside the café and watched as Eve made her way, customer to customer, taking their orders. Ever since the eulogy, Eve had been a bit subdued, as if, figuring things out seriously.

He was nervous. Initially, he had a plan to go inside and surprise her but now he was not so sure. So he waited outside till the weekend crowd dispersed and the sun' rays became less mean. He waited near the door, hovering and ignoring the looks the passer-by's gave him. Finally, after eternity, Eve came out. She started walking towards the opposite direction, away from him. Jogging after her, he called out her name.

It was quite the shock for her to turn around and see him. She blinked and stared long enough to make him feel nervous. Then the next second, she hugged him, giving out a disbelieved gasp. "Az! What are you doing here? Not that it isn't nice to see you," she said.

"I have news," he admitted, "and I wanted to see you." He shrugged, trying to ease the tension that had been built in his shoulders for the past few minutes. "Good news, I hope," Eve replied. Az nodded.

Together, they went back to her apartment that was only a few blocks and a turn away. Yelena was out on Az orders and Eve had the rest of the day off. It was perfect. Eve hummed beside him, back to her old self- well, how she was before the memorial. The smile seemed more genuine this time around though, and her eyes had regained a bit of life.

"Spill," Eve said once she closed the door. "I caught him," he replied. Eve stopped all her movements and gave him her full attention. "He admitted he was the one after you on his lord's order. He also said he doesn't know anything and the notes were dictated by his lord." Eve raised her brow, asking him to continue. "But, when he tried telling the lord's name, he..... died." Eve flinched. "Died?" she asked in disbelief. Az nodded solemnly. His death had not been quick nor easy. First he had been tortured by the Spymaster for information for an hour or so. Then he had died- trying to betray his lord. "He tried telling me but apparently there was some sort of binding...." He spared her the gore details. Eve gulped and nodded.

"I- so, he is gone? Yelena doesn't need to be here anymore?" Azriel hesitated. Sure, the male was gone but what if someone replaced the male? He couldn't be too sure. "She will stay around for a while," he admitted at last. Eve sighed and sat down. Finally she gave him a weak smile, "thank you." He nodded.

Silence ensued making him shift on his feet and rustle his wings. "Are you alright?" he asked her. She sighed. "Yeah, I am. I am glad he is gone but... it's another life lost. And the male... you said he was just following orders, right? I-" So much bloodshed, so much gore. Desensitising it seemed wrong to her- nowadays she had to constantly remind herself that this was not normal. It was far from it. Az' shadows soothed her but the deep-rooted sadness still resided in her, refusing to leave. "When will it end, Az? I just want to go home, I want to hug my parents, and I am just so tired that I am one step from breaking completely and forever."

Az took in a sharp breath before coming face to face with her. But, he had no words he could say. Words couldn't help Eve at present anyway. So, he resorted to hugging her, his wings and shadows letting her be encased. He wished she would come out of the darkness.

He wished for light.

And just like that, their small circle was filled with light coming from Az' pocket. Eve frowned, her tears drying in her ears and smiled after a second. "You keep it on you," she said, the revelation pleasing her greatly. Az blushed and nodded, "I like to look at it now and then." He regretted saying it the very next second because of the look that came over Eve. But, it was better than her feeling sad. Now, he was just worried what she was thinking as her eyes started dancing, full of mischief.