Holiday' anticipation

"What on Earth should I get Rhys? Everyone else is so easy, but that High Lord is a pain in my ass at the moment," Eve huffed as they walked down the streets of Velaris. Az chuckled and Eve had to stop the shiver that ran through her body at the sound.

Az on the other hand was over the moon at the changes he was seeing in Eve. After months, she was finally coming back to herself and he could not ask for anything more. This was his Solstice gift from Mother, he decided.

"What can you even get a High Lord?" Eve asked him. He shrugged, enjoying her current predicament. "What did you get him then?" Eve demanded as they passed a shop full of khaki clothes. "It's a surprise," Az replied, making her sigh.

Suddenly, Eve stopped short, making him bump into her. Az noticed with interest as her chocolate brown eyes twinkled as an idea formed inside her pretty head. "What?" he asked, wanting to be part of her every thought. A saccharine smile formed on her lips, full of life that made his heart stumble a few miles. "I know just what to get him."

"What?" Az fed her amusement. "A leather jacket and pants with sequins on it," Eve replied, trying to hold in her laughter at the image of him dressing like that. She had only ever seen the High Lord in suits ranging in the shades of violet. Az gave out a choked laughter that made Eve grin like a Cheshire cat.

"He will never wear it," Az said, shaking his head even as a smile adorned his face. "I'll find a way and of course, you will help." Eve replied. Az raised his brows, "I will?" Eve hummed in reply and Az realized... this was his best time shopping in five hundred years. Something unreadable entered his eyes just as Eve started kicking the stray pebble stones that came in their way while walking down street. He wanted nothing more than to hold her and kiss her- admire her. But, instead, he held the bag which had Mor' present and a painting for Feyre and followed Eve like a lovesick fool.

The next shop they entered was to buy some jewels for Amren. "I hope she likes it," Eve muttered while browsing through the jewels that lay on display. She didn't find any that suited Amren. "Tell you what?" Az said from behind her, his breath falling on her shoulders, making her melt. "What?" she whispered, her ability to being able to talk temporarily hindered. She could feel Az smirking behind her. Bastard. "I need to buy her gift anyway. I will buy her one from you too," he said.

"Really?" Az hummed. "Thank you! God, I was going to go mad trying to select something nice for her!" Az gave her a small smile, enjoying the privilege he was getting to see his mate in her element. "Tell me how much it costs later will you?" she asked him. He nodded, knowing he would never tell her.

"Ok then, only Nesta and Bri left. Am I missing anyone?"

"Elain." "Oh," Eve cleared her throat, "right." Az picked up on the change of mood in an instant and curiosity peaked in him. He gave her his I-am-the-Spymaster-start-talking look but that did not affect her as much as it did to the others. She simply gave him a sad smile and shrugged. "What about Nuala and Cerridwen? Would they like something?" Eve asked him changing the topic once she saw Az might start and as she did not want to talk about Elain at the moment.

Az did a double take at the question. He was surprised to say the least- and that did not happen very often. "You want to buy them a present?" he asked, needing a confirmation. She nodded, "why not?" He blinked. "Why? Do you think it's not a good idea?" Eve asked, halting as they made their way towards the bookstore. "Just an unusual one. Not a bad idea, they might appreciate it actually," he replied. She gave him a relieved smile and started walking again. "What would they like?" she asked, not looking at him. Trailing behind her, he gave her a list of suggestions to choose from.

*************

After another half an hour, she finished buying gifts for everybody... except one. Azriel. He was still with her, providing company she greedily indulged in. "Only one gift left now," Eve hummed as she turned to face him fully. The bags lay on the chairs beside her as they sat and enjoyed a meal at a restaurant. "Yours," Eve said, answering his unasked question.

A slight blush and a small smile came over Az' face as he became flattered that she remembered to buy him something. "And what are we getting me?" he asked. Eve gave him a look saying nice try. He pouted and Eve could not help the giggle that came out of her at the adorable sight, making his day brighter than it was.

"I am thankful for your company but I am afraid you need to leave now." Eve said, making him frown- he had been having a wonderful time with her. "You are the Spymaster! I can't buy you a gift while being with you!" Eve said, splaying her hands in the air. Az grumbled but agreed to her reasoning.

"I will see you on Solstice?" he asked. Eve nodded. He gave out a sigh and got up and was about to leave with some of her bags when she stopped him.

"Thank you.... For coming with me, and to help me choose," an emotion lay behind her eyes that made him take a breath. He nodded. "Anytime," he said hoarsely.

With one last squeeze of his hand- an affectionate gesture- Eve let Az go. 

Happy reading :)

XOXO,

the amazing author who is in a reading slump :/