Its ok to not be ok

Eve joined Cassian and Nesta for training. By the time her meeting with the High Lord and Lady was over, and she had said her 'see you soon' to Az, she was late for her daily training. Sighing, she walked to where the two were talking; Nesta taking her water break. "About damn time," Cassian said as his way of greeting her. She only gave him a tired smile and his arrogance dropped, replaced by concern. "He will be back soon," he said and Eve knew Rhys had filled him in. She shrugged, "I know." Cassian nodded and then, "warmups. 15 counts. And then abdominal," and Eve groaned.

Eve felt her breaths coming in pants and grunts. 1.5 minutes down, 3.5 more to go. Why did plank had to be so hard? Crunches were so much better- she could have done those with more ease and willingness. Behind her, she heard Cassian chuckle at Nesta's state who was trying and failing to do a plank beside her. They- Nesta and her- had only exchanged a few sentences during the training. She seemed to be warming up again towards her but at a very slow progress rate that Eve felt herself get annoyed by the second. So annoyed that at the moment she was taking some enjoyment in Nesta' struggle.

"I knew you didn't have much muscle," Cassian observed as Nesta lay belly-down on the ground, having collapsed onto her front after trying to hold a full-body plank, "but this is absolutely pathetic," and Eve chuckled even as her own hands and body had started shaking, earning a glare from Nesta who then turned back to face Cassian. ""Aren't you supposed to be my inspirational teacher?" "You can't do more than five seconds." 

She spat, "And how long can you do?" "Five minutes."

"Fuck," Eve collapsed. 

"Another one bites the dust," Cassian mused, now looking at Eve. "Fuck off," she groaned. "This is pathetic," he continued and both the females snarled. "Why don't you show us how it is done then," Eve sneered and Nesta made a sound of agreement. Cassian rose his brows. "Go on. Show us your big, tough Illyrian routine," Eve said. Huffing he started tying his hair in a bun, "as you wish. But after this, you both are doing one extra round of the ground."

Watching Cassian train was a different kind of activity. The way his warrior-self did everything with precision while making sure to be professional, Eve couldn't help but admire him. Though, a side glance told her that Nesta was more into the training in front of them than she was. Not that Eve blamed her. Eve wondered how the Fae had not yet named their kids after Cassian, after his glory tales and his personality and kindness. Lord of Bloodshed, the General of the Night Court- Cassian.

By the time he finished, he was panting. Good, at least Eve knew that the training still affected the arrogant bastard.

"What," Cassian asked, looking at Nesta. "Are there truly no female fighting units amongst the Illyrians?" His smile faded. "We tried once and it failed spectacularly. So, no. There aren't."

"Illyrians are terribly backward and awful," Eve supplied, seeing the frown on Nesta's face. Cassian winced, "Az is rubbing of on you." "Well," Eve said, "it is true though." "Progress is slow. It's an ongoing goal of ours—me and Rhys, I mean." Az had given up on the Illyrians a long time ago, though, he still tried to make a difference whenever he went for inspection.

"It's that hard for the females to become warriors?" Nesta asked and Eve scoffed. Cassian shook his head, "it's not just the training. It's running the social gauntlet, too. And then there's the Blood Rite, which they'd also have to complete." "Blood Rite?" Eve asked. He rubbed his neck. "When an Illyrian warrior comes into his full power, usually in his twenties, he has to go through the Blood Rite before he can qualify as a full warrior and adult. Would-be warriors from every clan and village get sent in, usually three or four from each—all of them scattered across an area in the Illyrian Mountains. We're left there for a week with two goals: survival, and making it to Ramiel."