Hydrate before running

Srsly... what should I name this scene? 

Az gave out a sigh of frustration. The reports were not promising. The youngest queen- Briallyn was supposed to be dead but the recent information pointed to the opposite- and that did not bode well with him one bit. The Illyrian camps weren't doing that well either. Hypocrite bastards, if you asked him. They talked about war and the glory it bought, they trained for the same and yet, when the time came and later, they complained about it. Blamed their High Lord. It would be too soon if he never saw them for a century. But, his job made him interact with them every now and then- something he loathed but did anyway out of sense of duty.

He stood silently as he waited for Rhys to come. There were reports he had to give him. After that, he would go visit Eve and see how she was doing. He barely deduced anything from the silence he got from the bond. It made him uneasy and frustrated to say the least. Worried too.

Rhys finally entered. "Sorry, I was held up," he said. Az raised his brows and smirked. "I can guess by what, or should I say whom?" Rhys threw him a vulgar gesture before settling down. "Show some respect to your High Lord, Az," Rhys replied, with a lazy smile. Az snorted.

A moment passed before both of them turned serious. "What is the report?" Rhys asked, business lacing his tone. "It is still not confirmed if Briallyn is alive or not. Some say she is alive- though her face is that of a monster now while some say she succumbed to her burns."

"If she is alive....." Rhys said, running his hands over his eyes. "I know, I am getting confirmation." Rhys nodded. "Next is the Illyrian camps." Azriel said. "It is not good. The camps are rioting in groups. They are angry at us- damned hypocrites. Then there are rumours that have been spreading like wildfire."

Az gave the rest of the information he had, presented some, all the while being stone-faced. This was business and war had just got over- he had little interest in engaging in other. Half an hour passed and more crease lines appeared on Rhys' face.

Rhys sighed, "you really do know how to give Solstice presents, Az."

They talked for another few minutes before someone knocked on the door and opened it. Feyre entered a bit wide eyed. "Eve fainted." Az and Rhys stood up at that quite quickly. "Where is she?" Az asked, trying to maintain his expressionless face and failing. "Bri's-" And Az was already making his way out muttering a 'thank you' to Feyre- some semblance of manners persisting.

**********

He held Eve in his arms, letting his wings encase her. Bri had headed back down to handle her café and to bring him some food while he impatiently waited for Eve to come back to consciousness once again. He did not know what happened but his shadows informed him of her previous whereabouts- Nesta. He would visit her soon, in need of answers.

Eve groaned and he held her tighter just as a knock sounded on the bedroom door. Cassian entered, concerned. "I heard she fainted. What happened?" he asked, worry painting his forehead. Az shrugged. Cassian sighed and sat near them, holding strawberry milkshake in his hand. "For her when she wakes up," he said and Az nodded. It was her favourite.

"Could you do me a favour?" Az asked Cassian, hesitantly. He nodded- it was not every day his brother asked for a favour. "Could you visit-" Az was cut off when Eve opened her eyes and blinked rapidly- trying to orient herself to her surroundings. "I-" Her eyes darted between the two Illyrian males and the milkshake. Cass saw her line of sight and handed the glass to her which she took happily, though a bit apprehensive. "You fainted. Bri ran to the townhouse and informed Feyre who informed me," Az said flatly. Eve gulped.

She shifted in her place, the outcome being one of her hands brushing Az' wings lightly. He straightened immediately, his wings flaring out of instinct. "Oh- I- Sorry, I didn't mean to..." Eve said, when she noticed his reaction. Az shook his head, "it's alright." They stared at one another before Cass cleared his throat, earning a glare from Azriel.

"If you don't mind, do tell us how you ended up outside Bri' giving her quite the fright by fainting. A dramatic entrance that even I haven't pulled off," he said. A smile tugged at Eve' lips at that, making Az stop glaring at his brother. But the smile soon went when she recalled why she had ended up with that dramatic entrance in the first place. "Probably dehydration," Eve shrugged.

Az shadows turned darker at that. He frowned. "You are lying," he said, his voice almost accusatory. Eve shifted in her seat, and giving his shadows a small glare she tried again, "technically, I am not lying. I was at Nesta's," Cassian' jaws tightened at that, "before I decided to run for some miles. I just coincidentally ended up here and fainted due to dehydration and lack of energy."

"Nesta's?" Az prodded further. "I wanted to see her," Eve defended herself. "I see. And what made you suddenly want to run after being pent up in an apartment for months?" Cassian asked her this time. "Specially, when you were so adamant to not come to train with me," his jaw ticked. Eve flinched at that. She owed him an apology for her outburst that day. "I- needed to get my minds off some things." Az nodded in understanding, hoping she would explain further but she did not.

"I also owe you an apology Cass," Eve said, a bit softly. Cassian blinked. "For what I called you that day and for the.... Outburst. I am so sorry," she said remorsefully. "Hey, I had already forgotten about that. It's okay, princess, besides, I shouldn't have pushed you so," Cass said when he saw how sad she looked. Eve scrunched up her nose at the word 'princess' but gave him a grateful smile nevertheless. "How can I make it up to you?" she asked. Cassian opened his mouth but Eve interrupted, "no training." He closed his mouth and sighed. "Come to the celebrations." Eve nodded, conveniently forgetting to tell him she was going to come anyway at Rhys' request.

Suddenly, Cassian' eyes lit up and he said, "I am going to give you the best present ever." Eve' eyes widened considerably at that. She had completely forgotten about the gifts. She had to buy presents for everyone! "I am not that terrible you know," Cassian huffed after seeing her expression.

"No! No, that's not why I- though you are terrible," Az hid his laugh at that, "I just realized I have to buy presents for everyone."

Az shook his head. "You don't have to." Eve shook her head, "but I want to." Az hesitated for a second before asking, "Do you... want company?" Eve' answering smile was brighter than any sun. 

Happy reading :)

XOXO,

the amazing author