Two of us

Azriel couldn't stop staring at the present Eve had gotten him. It touched him. Of course, he had yet to give her the present he had selected with his mate in his mind. He was nervous to say the least- he would be crushed if she did not like it.

At first he had not known what to get her. Completely and utterly clueless he had begrudgingly went and asked for help from Bri. She had given him a sly smile which he had ignored, an expressionless face. After a few moments, Bri had proposed to him what to get her. Some of her ideas were downright bad making him shake his head. Eve wouldn't mind lifetime supply of cheesecakes.... She likes to read a lot nowadays, an obsession...... maybe a small flute to get her started once again..... He had rejected all those ideas. They didn't seem right to him. No, he wanted to get her something that screamed Eve.

After the failure with Bri, he had gone through half the shops in Velaris from clothes to stationary to food. Yet, nothing. Frustrated, he had then visited a tavern nearby, trying to soothe himself. He couldn't even get his mate a proper present! So, after a few too many drinks in which he had wallowed along with Cassian who had joined him, the two Illyrians had tried to come up with things she would like.

"Dagger!" Cassian had said. Az shook his head, maybe but no. "Wine?" No. "Jewellery?" Maybe. Sighing, he had gone back to the House of Wind for some semblance of sleep. The next day, he had ventured to the Spring Court, observing its state. And that's when it clicked to him, what he could get. Beyond relieved, he came back from his now most successful mission.

Back to present, he looked up when he heard Eve standing, making her way towards the coat rack. Nesta had left a few minutes ago and so had Cassian. "Stay for some more time?" Feyre tried. Eve smiled but shook her head. "Happy Solstice everyone," she said and left. Az didn't even spare anyone a glance as he got up and followed her out, her coat already around her shoulders and the precious model of NYC safely held in her hands.

She did not glance back but did wait, sensing his presence. "Let me walk you back," Az offered, taking a few bags from her hand. She did not protest, simply looking up at the stars. "That's alright, I am sure Cassian is going to need you more," she said for they all had seen him storm after Nesta. "I insist, and, I wanted to give you your present," he said, looking at her. His shadows were calm, a few finding their way in her hair. "My present? And what did you get me?" she asked, tilting her head, finally deigning to look at him.

"I....," Az hesitated. "I made something, well kind of," he said. "It's a little further from here," he said and she nodded. "Lead the way." Az nodded and covering her with the help of his wings against the cold, they started walking.

"How is Bri doing?" Az asked. "Good, as usual. She finally made my strawberry cheesecake," Eve said, a ghost of smile adorning her face. "You should try it some time. It is delicious. Oh, and blueberry cheesecake too. Any cheesecake really." Az smiled at her enthusiasm and nodded.

"We are here," he said, stopping in front of a steel door. He turned to face her and gave her a box from his pocket. Eve opened it, her eyes snapping between him and the box. "It's a key," she said, confused. Az nodded. "And what will I open to?" she asked, already making her way to unlock the door.

Eve gasped as she saw what was in front of her. "The room is soundproof, no one can hear you. It is also exclusively for your use." Eve stared in shock before looking at him, "you designed this?" He nodded. "You collected all those items, and-" she stared at him. a breathy chuckle left her. "You do know me well." Az felt a spark inside of him when she said that. 

She liked his gift. He knew her well. She smiled.

For he knew her tendencies. Knew her annoyance got the best of her sometimes. Knew she screamed into her pillow at night, trying to muffle her sobs. So, he had bought this small shop and converted it a bit. He had added items which she could trash without repercussions and scream to her heart's desire without anyone's snooping. Not even the Inner Circle's. He had divided the space so that one half was reserved to be destroyed while the other half was filled with comfortable couches, a cabinet and paintings. It was upon her to design the rest of the space.

"You gave me a sacred space," Eve mused, tears lining her eyes. His shadows went to comfort her. "You have to stop spoiling me, or upstaging my gift-giving skills," she laughed a bit. He smiled softly- only for her. "A little competition never hurt." She smiled widely. "And you deserve all of this," he added on a more serious note. She looked at him with admiration that made his knees buckle. "Can I hug you?" He nodded and she jumped, hugging him as if this was the last time they would ever see one another. He hugged back just as ferociously.

She leaned back after a while but Az let his hands stay around her, grounding her. He leaned down a bit, intoxicated. Eve did not back up, instead, she leaned a bit forward, her eyes hazy. Slowly, excruciatingly slowly, their lips found one another. At first it was soft, testing. Then, it became more and more. Az poured himself bare then, all his feelings and unspoken words breaking free.

I love you. I am yours. You are my mate. I love you.

Eve gasped and pulled back. Dazed, he held her not being able to say anything as they looked at one another. "That was-" Az mastered himself after a moment to say but was cut off by Eve who had a pained expression on her face, she was broken and Az deserved more than just taking care of her during the bad days. And until she had at least some semblance of self, "I can't."

Did someone slap him? No, that wouldn't have hurt as much as this.

He backed off, muttering apologies. Eve shook her head, "I want to but I can't." He looked at her, confused. "I- I want to heal first. I need to." He nodded slowly at that. "I-"

"You don't have to explain. I understand." He said softly even as his chest flared in pain and she nodded, her eyes holding guilt. "Sorry," she mumbled and he shook his head. "Nothing like that. It's okay. I will be here when you are ready and if you want me then, till then," he said, extending his arm for her to take, "no strings attached about future promises. Just the present."

She nodded, letting out a breath, "so friends only?"

Hethought it was as good as a place to start. 

Happy reading :)

XOXO,

the amazing author