The Island

Eve winnowed right in the heart of the island- where he lived. He was lounging on the chair, looking towards a distant firebird flying in the sky. "You got the Harp," there was a satisfaction present in his voice she didn't quite like. "I did," Eve replied nevertheless, "barely." He snorted, getting up from his chair, "you are powerful enough to handle a few of those night court scums." Eve shrugged that truth away. "Still. Where is my compensation? This is a deal, Koschei, remember?"

"Follow me," he said, walking to his cave. She did so, albeit grumbling. She had no choice- not since she escaped the Night Court. Amren had never been the answer- this death-lord was. It was a deal she had struck with him when he had come to visit her after Starfall. Mike for her help with the Harp. An easy choice for what she would get back in return. Amren had told her that there was no way to get him back- she had been wrong. There was. It was just a bit illegal.

****************************

Azriel paced up and down in the small room, a patch of his arm bandaged up by Madja- second degree wounds. The others save for Nesta and Cassian were already here, and making plans.

He couldn't help the growl that came out, "we know where she is. We should attack." Why they were sitting on their asses, he did not know. Rhysand sighed, "it is not that easy. She is powerful- you saw how she deflected us both. And she is under a death-lord' influence. We need a plan before we go in."

"When has any of the plan we made actually worked?" he countered. Feyre, rubbed her eyes- Nyx had been crying the night before and his High Lady had barely gotten any sleep. "When will Nesta and Cassian be here?" he demanded, turning back to Rhys. "In a few minutes. Nesta agrees with you, by the way. But that would be idiotic."

"Ask the High Lords for help."

"Ask how, exactly?" Feyre asked this time. "By telling them we had, and still have, items from the Dead Trove. That we knew Koschei was planning something but didn't have the time to tell them and that Briallyn died by the hand of the sister of the High Lady of the Night Court?"

"Helion, then." Azriel knew they would not like his chain of thoughts, "and Tamlin." Rhysand growled, still a territorial male. "He owes her," Az said quietly. "Ask for his help. No matter how weak he is now, the power of a High Lord still runs in him." Feyre bit her lip, contemplating.

"Helion, Tamlin, Rhys and I to deal with Koschei. Cassian, Nesta, and you for Eve." Morrigan and Amren would stay and manage the court. "It could work."

Behind him, Nesta and Cassian barged in. "Good." He turned around, not giving his rulers another second to contemplate. "Get ready. We are leaving in ten."

*****************************

Eve watched as he worked on his body. Mike would be back with her soon. "How long will it take?" she asked him. He hissed, "patience. It is not an easy task and requires energy- even if I am a death-lord." She tapped her feet on the ground, "they will be here soon. Quicken the process."

"If I had known you would be so demanding..." he swore under his breath. "Go work on the rift, World-Walker. I wish to go home." She rolled her eyes but went back to her work, searching deep within her for that spark that would always belong to her home. Her once human life force was still present, only ever modified. That was the unique part, she supposed- her soul belonged to two worlds after she was Made in the Cauldron. It was as if her soul was made to shift through worlds now. She was nearly done with her end of the deal- had been working on it since the second after Koschei had met her that day. And he knew this.

"Why do you wish to go back to that world of yours?" she asked him. Only her energy was required now, with a place in mind. "They imprisoned me here," the death-lord straightened up, fire kindling in his eyes, "and I have not forgotten my revenge." Something within her came unsettled. Shifting, she narrowed her eyes, "will you kill them?" He laughed, "oh no, death will be a peace they will not know of for a long, long time."

"You could show mercy," she countered but he simply laughed. "What I do after this will not be a concern of yours- just like you won't be of mine." A small pressure was felt in between her brows, as if someone was once again, urging her to do his bidding till he wished. She growled, "Mutual benefactors, I get it."

*****************************

Azriel, Cassian and Nesta flew across the sea. And while Cassian carried Nesta, Azriel carried all the weapons they might need. Nesta had suggested to get the Crown but Azriel and Rhys had thought better- they did not need yet another Dead Trove at lose. "There," Nesta breathed, pointing to the small patch of land that made the behind of Koschei's cave. "I can feel the Harp there."

Az rubbed his chest, "she is also there." But running to her would have to wait. "Any signs of Koschei?" he asked Cassian whose battlefield eyes were scrutinizing the entire place. He shook his head, "probably inside." "Then we land directly where Eve is. Others should arrive in a few minutes to take after him." Rhys, Feyre and Helion were on their way already with Tamlin in tow.

Eve watched as her mate, and his two other friends circled the Harp she stood beside, invisible. Her mate could not see her no matter how much he tried. They were earlier than what she had anticipated. She had been so sure Rhysand would have stopped to think and strategize before jumping into action, but she had forgotten to take into account her mate and his stubborn tendencies. The same tendencies that might fatally wound him today- unless she could find a way around.

"She is here," her mate growled to Lord of Bloodshed. Eve's head tilted to the side as she noticed just who the Lord had in his arms- Nesta Archeron, the one who killed Briallyn. Her friend too, she thought as the headache increased. Hissing, she moved forward, becoming visible. "You should not have come."

Her mate's eyes whipped to hers as he landed with a resounding thud. "And leave my mate, my light, in the hands of Koschei?" Hissing, she answered back, "I am here of my own will. At least someone knows how to bring Mike back, at least someone is useful unlike you Night Court liars and selfish schemers." The Shadowsinger took a step forward but she did not move, "bringing him back is not natural. He is dead, and has moved on. Toying with Death is not something anyone should indulge in, Eve." A laugh slipped out of her mouth, "maybe for us. But a Death lord? He can."

"Where is he?" Nesta asked from behind the Shadowsinger. Eve smiled, a true smile, away from all the schemes and magic, "he is bringing my Mike back. And in a few minutes, it will be me and him, and we will no longer have to suffer in this world."

"What do you mean?" Her mate asked, his eyes going thin. "I thought you were smart enough to connect such simple dots, Shadowsinger." Maybe it was her imagination or his breath hitched, "you plan to leave Prythian." She nodded, "I can go wherever I want. But to start, I wish to go home first. Then, if my life and magic permits, somewhere else again."

So obviously I did not complete this before end of 2023... or keep my promise about the same. But hey! I have not given up yet. 

XOXO,

author who apologizes and is trying lowkey