CHAPTER 1 || Day X to school

§
_________________________________

§_________________________________

***

It was my first day of school after a two week suspension. I felt... normal, just ordinary. I did not particularly like school, but I did not particularly like staying home either. I just really wanted to go to taekwondo classes again but exam was coming. Holy shit. How was I supposed to pass it when I had not learnt anything for two weeks already.

People were irritating. They just could not talk softly. I could hear their gossips and chitchats even with a headset on. Class 2-5 had a generally peaceful atmosphere, but still noisy.

I guessed I was the only bad student that damage the class reputation?

Who cared anyway?

"Yahhh, look who's back??"  Thanks to Gyeongsu, literally every student turned to look at me when I just stepped into the classroom of Class 2-5.

Gyeongsu glanced at me from head to toe, and then returned to talking with his squad loudly.

Others also returned to their chats, but stealing glances at me from time to time. It was not difficult to guess what were they talking about.

I ignored everyone as usual, walked towards my seat. After staring at Gyeongsu for some awkward moments, he finally hopped off from my desk. The squad kept talking and I kept unpacking my bag when I felt a hand tapping on my shoulder.

I turned to the right, and just saw the squad of boys looking at me, with Joonyeong moving his lips. I guessed he was asking me something but I could not hear him properly with my headset.

"Hmmm?" I said with an annoyed tone while taking it off.

"Did you really get into a fight with gangsters?? Is this the reason why you got suspended?"

Joonyeong repeated his question softly while the others just looked at me with their curious puppy eyes.

"You guess?"

I received snorts from all of them.

"Yah, Park Minji, why are you always giving some bullshit answers, it's not helpful at all."

"Why do you even care about what I have done anyway?" I hit back without looking up at them.

"Don't act so mysterious like you want others to understand your story, no one wants to know." Gyeongsu scoffed.

"No one will understand you if you don't tell anyone something about yourself. No one can help you too." Cheongsan added.

"What? You mean telling someone so that the entire school know about my secrets? What a joke." I rolled my eyes.

"I think you may need some help here." Daesu said while pointing his finger at his brain, earning laughters from every boy in the squad.

I ignored them and continued with whatever I was doing. They returned to their chats and somehow I just heard them but I was not eavesdropping.

Something about the Science teacher had a rotten smell, and Hyeonju was missing. Weird but I could not care less.

***

The bell had rung and everyone returned to their seats. They still talked despite the distance among them, creating more nuisances. Park Minji did not understand, why did they have so much things to share with each other?

She started to scan over the textbook, seeing how pathetically lagged behind she was. She flipped through the pages while yawning, not caring about manners at all.

"Can you really read a word like that?"

The boy who sat beside Minji tilted his head and chuckled, earning a glare from her.

"Yah, it's none of your business Jeon Jungkook."

"Have you done the revision exercises at the back of the textbook? It's today's homework."

"What the fuck?! Why no one tell—" Minji stopped without finishing her sentence.

Who would have told her about anything? She did not have friends, let alone contacts of classmates.

"Aish mother fucker..." She cursed underneath her breath and flipped to the exercises she was supposed to finish yesterday.

Jungkook pushed his work to the left, showing all his answers of each mathematical calculations to the girl. The girl stared at the answers and at Jungkook, who was wearing a smirk. She rolled her eyes and snickered.

"I know you rank no.3 in class, you don't have to show off by acting kind to me, I don't need your answers."

To Park Minji, Jeon Jungkook was one of those ace student that she was jealous of. Not only he got good grades, but he was good at simply everything. They went to taekwondo classes together so she knew, no one could beat him. What's more, he legit was well raised as a gentleman, good manners, personality, well, even good looking.

He must have grown in a harmonious happy family, she thought. That was what she was jealous of.

Minji despised him. She knew he lent his work to her so that he could gain more compliments, by "lending his work even to some random isolated person in the class". That's the so call selfless? She guessed.

"No, I lend you my answers, and you have to answer my question. There's a deal here, I don't lend it to someone without a return."

That was surprising. He had never talked to Minji for more than one sentence a day. Plus, the assumption Minji built seemed to crumble when he gave her the answers for some return.

"What question?" Minji was curious, what some omniscient species like Jeon Jungkook did not know and would like to know.

"Why did you get suspended?"

Of course, of course. Minji sighed. The only thing he did not know was probably her.

"Again, thank you for your answers, I don't need them." Minji pushed his work away with a fake smile.

The class teacher Miss Park came in just on time, a boring school day began with phones being collected.