CHAPTER 26 || Around the flames

§
_________________________________

§_________________________________

***

The students sat in a circle around the campfire they made. They had to call it a night after watching the chopper left without bring them out of this hell.

At least they were able to make a campfire. Thanks to Namra who only took out her lighter when she saw Suhyeok struggling to make a fire by drilling the wood.

Jungkook's eyes could not take off from Minji. It was filled with worries and guilt. He scanned her and finally locked his eyes at the finger marks on her neck. The trace and shapes of four fingers at one side were so clear and obvious, indicating the amount of force pressing on her neck. The red marks would take quite a while to leave.

Minji cleared her throat once in a while, coughing quietly, holding back the demand for releasing the stress that had been filling in her trachea. She did not want to draw any attention to herself.

"Are you okay?" Jungkook patted her back.

"I am fine. It's not like this is the first time I was being choked."

"You had been choked before?!" Wujin widened his eyes, his face showed a weird expression.

"Not that kind of choke, just purely getting choked, I know what you are thinking, pervert." Minji pressed her lips together and squinted her eyes.

"What? Are there different kinds of choke?" Daesu asked innocently.

"Yah! Shut up." Hyoryeong hit him.

"What?! Why are you always hitting me?! Oh my god...Are you...in love with me?!!!"

"What the fuc—No!! Are you crazy?!" Hyoryeong hit Daesu harder.

"Aish, who is in love with you!!!" She hit him a few more times.

"Daesu ah, how is your audition?" Suhyeok tried to change the topic.

"Aish, they told me to go on diet." Daesu said disappointedly.

"Their loss for not having you, you sing well." Suhyeok answered, comforting him.

"Really?"

"Yeah. How about sing to us now?"

"Now?" Daesu looked hesitant.

"Yeah, I want to listen to you singing."

Daesu cleared his throat and sang with his firm yet euphonious voice. Jimin joined later, and the others also added onto the harmony. Minji stared at the fire, tapping her feet with the rhythm. She could hear so clearly Jungkook's soft angelic voice beside her. The mellow timbre fitted in and created a harmonising acapella. It was warm, it was peaceful, it was beautiful.

"You can be a singer, you know?" she whispered without looking at the boy beside her.

"Nah, I am not as good as Daesu..."