85 | Emotions

I can't remember where I found the picture at the top.

🍪🍪🍪

They switched seats, and Olivia was terrified. "Have you ever driven before?" Joshua asked.

"Uh, yeah. It's been months though, and it wasn't on a road."

"So... in a ditch?" he joked.

She laughed too and said, "No, just a parking lot."

"Don't worry about it. Driving comes much more naturally once it's done more often."

"I guess."

"You might want to move the seat closer first."

"Gotcha." While she did that, he gave her more instructions.

"I'd say that a few laps around the lot in both directions is where we'll start. Here's the key," he said, taking it out of the cupholder. "Let's get started."

"O- Ok." Olivia put the key in the ignition with a shaky hand.

"Great. See, nothing blew up."

Not yet at least. "Mhm."

"Ooh, we need to commemorate this moment." Joshua grabbed his phone and opened the camera. "Smile!" Olivia did so, looking excited; she was petrified too though. "Great," he said, looking at it then showing her.

"Send that to me."

"Of course. Ok, back to the task at hand; you're going to switch from park to reverse since we're in a parking spot, obviously. Make sure to look both ways to start getting into the habit of it, even though it's just an empty parking lot."

"G- Gotcha." She was way more scared now than she was with her parents the first time. Olivia changed gears and gently put her foot on the gas while turning the wheel.

"Give it a little more."

She did then it was too much, making them jerk in their seats. "Sorry," she said, taking her foot off.

"It's ok," Joshua chuckled. "You'll find a balance." He looked around the car and through the windows. "I mean... it wasn't an awful job. Had it been packed, you would've only hit... three cars."

"Josh, that's three too many."

"Well, they're ghost cars, so it doesn't matter."

"Child."

"Hey, this child is the one teaching you."

"Only because the law claims you can; that doesn't change the fact that you act like a six-year-old."

"Do you want to continue?"

"Yeah yeah, let's keep going."

"Great. Pu-" Olivia was already switching into drive and turning to go straight on the path. "Hey, look at you."

"I feel like the whole gearshift is just common sense."

"Yeah, the prndl is the easy part. Do a few laps to get used to the feeling then park again."

Olivia nodded, steering with both hands to stabilize the vehicle. "Your car feels a little shaky." Or that could just be me.

"Yeah, it's a little old. I've had it for two years and got it used. I'm hoping it'll last at least until I can pay for a new one."

After doing three laps, Olivia stopped and asked, "Ok, where should I park?"

"Um, you pick. Just tell me which one you're going for."