To Be Truly Happy

3rd Person's POV

3rd Person's POV

Laney twists and turns in bed groaning as her eyes are shut tightly. Her hands grip the sheets as she murmurs to herself.

Suddenly sitting up, Laney gasps holding her chest. Her heart beats against her rib cage as she realizes that her nightmares were back for good... and there was nothing she could do about it.

"You alright?"

Jumping in fright, Laney's head snaps over towards the window. She was still in Cordelia's house but in a guest room. So what was he doing here.

"I thought you left?"

"I did..."

Laney bites her lip, "So you came back... why?"

Angel shrugs still staring at Laney blankly as she continues to question him, "To check on you."

Laney scoffs messing with the covers, "You came all the way back here just to check on little ole me? Why is that?"

Clearing his throat, Angel sighs before grimacing, "Because... we're... friends."

Laney smiles making Angel's dead heart feel as if it would skip a beat if it could. She had a beautiful smile and he was happy when she was happy.

Laney knew it was weird for him to say friends or even have one. But it meant everything to her. The fact that a once bad evil vampire who was now good, actually cared about something and somebody... that was huge.

Laney gulps trying not to make awkward eye contact with Angel as she pleads, "Can you stay? Please?"

Angel nods giving an uneasy stare as he walks over and sits beside her on the bed. He sits with his back against the headboard with one leg up on the bed. Laney scoots closer to him and sighs.

Angel inwardly groans smelling fresh blood from her wounds. His face turns making him growl while looking away from her.

Laney gulps while licking her dry lips. She takes a deep calming breath before lightly grabbing Angel's chin with her hand. She looks at his turned face, deadly fangs, angry frantic eyes and then smiles lightly. He flinches but relaxes as her fingers graze over the wrinkles on his face.

"It's okay Angel... I trust you..."

Angel takes a deep breath and sighs as he turns back human. Laney stares into his eyes feeling the intensity pulsate through the air. Angel's hand strokes through her hair lightly as her thumb grazes his jawline.

"Don't break it... okay?"

Laney lays her head on his shoulder as he nods in reply. After a minute of silence, Laney can feel herself beginning to doze off. She takes Angel's free hand and huffs.

"I was there..."

Angel frowns looking down at her as she lays now on his chest with her eyes closed, "Where?"