Wild Dogs Attack

3rd Person's POV

3rd Person's POV

The library doors slam open. Willow and Giles look up from their research startled and anxious. Buffy enters, dragging an unconscious Xander.

"Hurry-- we've gotta look him up somehow, before he comes to."

Willow turns off the Video she's been studying.

"Oh my god, Xander-- is he alright?"

Buffy nods, "Oh fine. He's just enjoying a little brick-induced coma designed to prevent felony sexual assault."

Buffy heaves Xander into a steel-mesh book-return cage. She slams the door and locks it. Hangs the keys on a nearby book.

Giles frowns, "Oh Buffy, the Hyena in him didn't--"

Buffy shakes her head, "No, but it's safe to say that in his current state, his idea of wooing somebody doesn't include a Yanni CD and a bottle of Chianti.
And there's six more of them out there. So that means that Laney is leading them. What've you found?"

Giles flips pages in an ancient book, frustrated, "The book says nothing about Hyena exorcisms..."

Willow looks over confused, "How'd they stop it in the past?"

"I'm afraid the only solution is... Shoot to kill."

Buffy's eyes widen, "Shoot to kill! Now what?"

"We buy guns?" Giles smiles sheepishly.

"Who wrote this book-- the Michigan Militia? They're just teenagers."

Giles shuts the old book, frustrated.

"And I thought I'd found such a distinctly American solution to the problem. Well, I honestly don't know where else to look-- Malleus Maleficarum!

Willow shakes her head, "Swearing is never appropriate in any language."

But Giles has already disappeared into the stacks, as he speaks excitedly.

"No, no, no-- the Malleus Maleficarum, written by Sprenger and Kraemer in 1486, speaks directly to all demonic possessions!"

Giles returns, carefully holding a very dusty volume. He carefully opens and turns the pages.

"Its knowledge of the occult is so comprehensive,
Pope Innocent authorized that only twenty-eight
editions be published--"

He turns another page and his eyes devour the text.

"YES! The entire procedure described- we simply need to transfer the evil spirits..." He looks down crestfallen, "Into some other human... Or an animal..."

Buffy leaps up, "The Hyenas at the Zoo! The Zookeeper knew they were sick in the first place--"

Giles shuts the book and stands, motioning for Buffy.