It's The End Of The World As We Know It

3rd Person's POV

The library at Sunnydale High School. Buffy is crouched over Kendra after finding her dead. Behind her a police officer comes in and aims his gun at her.

Officer#1, "Freeze!"

Buffy faces him.

"Put your hands up. Back away from the girl slowly."

Another officer comes in behind the first, gun drawn and surveying the scene.

Buffy frowns slowly getting to her feet and raising her hands, "Look, I didn't do anything."

Officer#1, "Do it! Now!"

The second officer holsters her gun and crouches down to feel for Kendra's pulse, but can't find one.

Officer#2, "This one's dead."

Officer#1, "What about up there?", nods toward the mezzanine.

Buffy and Officer#2 look up at the stacks and see Xander lying unconscious on the floor behind the railing.

"Xander..." Buffy starts to go to him, but Officer#2 grabs her and pushes her back.

Officer#2, "Get her out of here!"

Buffy glares, "Wait! Just see if he's okay! Please!"

The second officer hands her off to the first, and then goes to check on Xander. Buffy offers no resistance, and lets herself be led out.

Officer#2 crouches down by Xander to check him out.

Officer#1 leads Buffy out the library and into the hallway.

"Please. You don't understand."

Officer#1, "You'd do well to keep your mouth shut, missy."

They turn down the hall and see Snyder coming down followed by two more officers.

"But I didn't do anything."

Snyder scoffs, "Why do I find that so very hard to believe?"

Officer#1 to the other officers, "In there."

He turns to Snyder and frowns, "You know this girl?"

Snyder nods, "Buffy Summers. If there's trouble, she's behind it."

Buffy huffs angrily, "You stupid little troll. You have no idea!"

"Attitude problem. Serious."

Buffy faces the officer, "Look, I just wanna know if my friends are okay."

Officer#1, "All right, that's enough."

He spins her back around and gets out his handcuffs.

Officer#1, "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and..."

Buffy glances over her shoulder, and without warning backhand punches the officer in the face. He grunts in pain and stumbles backward into the lockers. She grabs him by the neck and pushes his head down, flipping him over onto his back. Snyder takes a shocked step back. He is too stunned by what he just saw her do to move, and just lets her run down the hall without even looking. Officer#2 comes out of the library and sees her partner on the floor and Buffy running away. She raises her gun and takes aim at Buffy.

Officer#2, "Stop!"

Now Snyder turns around to see Buffy running away, but he's still too shook up to have the sense to get out of the officer's way.

Officer#2, "Get down!"

Buffy looks back and turns down an adjacent hall, and the officer takes a shot. The bullet shatters the window of the hall door. The other two officers come out of the library, gun drawn and ready, and she waves them in Buffy's direction. They run in pursuit. She grabs the radio mic at her shoulder and puts out a bulletin on Buffy.