Chapter Six "Shades of the Past Part I"

Looking around aimlessly, Peter pointed his hoof at himself and raised his brow. "Are you talking about me?"

Sweetie Belle stepped inside before she stopped next to Peter's flank. The other two fillies followed, gasping aloud at the blank sight. One of the fillies, her coat as bright as the sun in the sky, rushed over to the other side of Peter's flank, and her chocolate brown eyes only grew in width. The last filly, her coat matching a shade of orange, closed her violet eyes and nodded her head.

"He's a blank flank for sure," she said, causing Peter's face to flush slightly.

"Great. So kids inspecting my butt isn't enough, but now they have to insult it? I feel so violated."

The yellow filly's fiery red mane emerged from behind Peter. "How old did you say he was, Sweetie Belle?"

"He's... uh..." Sweetie Belle droned off, placing her hoof underneath her chin.

"Nineteen," Peter said blankly.

The orange filly furrowed her brow. "If you're that old, why haven't you earned your cutie mark yet?"

Why indeed did he not have a cutie mark, something everypony had in this world? The answer was simple: he was an alien pulled from another world, but that kind of explanation was too farfetched to the common individual. His knowledge on cutie marks being significantly limited, Peter turned his gaze back inside of the house.

"Twilight, could you come down for a second?" he said, hopeful his roommate could provide a decent enough answer.

An exasperated groan echoed from upstairs. "Peter, if you're trying to weasel out of practice, you've got another thing-" Twilight said with a hint of irritation in her voice, but it dissipated, along with the glare in her eye, once she made it downstairs and noticed the three fillies surrounding Peter. "Oh, hi, girls. What can I help you with?" she said, her tone now a sweet one.

Peter's sighed inwardly. Girls were a puzzle in any world.

Sweetie Belle pointed her hoof at Peter's flank, causing his face to flush once more. "It's about your friend. Why doesn't he have a cutie mark?"

"Actually," Twilight said before she paused to furrow her brow at Peter. It seemed as if she was at a loss for words, but she threw her hoof over her mouth and cleared her throat. "Peter has many talents, just like all of you, but he hasn't found his one true talent yet."

A pitiful chuckle escaped from Peter's mouth. "Many talents? Who are you kidding?"

Twilight shook her head and shifted her gaze from the fillies to Peter. "I just realized something. Do you even know who these girls are, Peter?"

Shrugging his shoulders, Peter raised his hoof and pointed it over to the snow white filly's lavender color head. "I just met Sweetie Belle while I was at Rarity's, but the other two are newcomers for me."

"I'll introduce you then." Twilight walked over to the yellow filly. "This is Applebloom, Applejack's little sister," she said, turning her gaze over to the third filly, "and this is Scootaloo, a friend from their school."

"Well, aren't you the cutest things?" he said honestly before a groan echoed in his head. "Why is everything in the world so darn cute?" A late realization came into mind, causing Peter to fire the fillies a puzzled expression. "I have to ask though. What do you want with me?"

As she made her way to his side, Applebloom gazed up at Peter. "Easy. You don't have a cutie mark," she said bluntly.

Peter's eyes grew blank. "And I guess you're here to make fun of me? It'll be like my old preschool days. Elementary school wasn't much different. Middle school was just as bad. Don't get me started on high school. Now that I think about it, college was exactly the same, too. I guess I'm a subject of ridicule to this day." He shook his head and shrugged his shoulders. "Oh, sorry. I was rambling. You were making fun of me? Go right ahead."