Chapter Twenty-Six "Trust"

Twenty-eight days remain.

Shining Armor paced through the room with his eyes slammed shut. Twilight, his darling sister, had just briefed him on the details regarding her newly-formed relationship with Peter, who happened to be the masked vigilante, Spider-Mane, and an alien from another dimension. It was almost too much for the pony brain to take in at once, worsened by the news Discord had already left moments ago, yet the idea of his sister dating wasn't what perturbed Shining. If anything, it was surprising.

Ever since she was a foal, the only thing ever to pique Twilight's interest were her studies, and that fascination morphed into an obsession over the years. This, in turn, led the mare to become the socially-awkward, eccentric bookworm she was today. If not for Princess Celestia's influence in pushing for her apprentice to learn the values of friendship, which she was still completing to this day, Twilight, more than likely, would have lived the life of a hermit, spending every waking moment with her muzzle in the books.

The fact there was somepony in the world that made his sister happy romantically filled Shining with a great deal of happiness, but there were several key elements that prevented the stallion from completely trusting Twilight's love interest. Surprisingly, Shining didn't have a problem accepting Peter was not from their world, or even their dimension, in the first place. He nodded inwardly; Shining did find it odd, but it was hardly surprising, considering how weird his sister could be. However, despite being an outsider, Peter seemingly had no quarrel with risking his life for the sake of others, and Shining couldn't help but respect such nobility.

While Shining did not want his sister to lead a dangerous lifestyle, he knew there was no valid point in attempting an argument. Twilight had already proven capable of defending herself when she dealt with the likes of Nightmare Moon, Discord, and Sombra, and to this day, Shining had his sister to thank for saving Cadance (and himself) from Queen Chrysalis. As Princess Celestia's apprentice, it was clear Twilight was meant to face adversity.

Even Shining Armor had been destined for a similar fate as Captain of the Canterlot Guard, but he managed to smile, knowing at least now there was a pony fully capable of protecting his little sister and who would give everything in doing so.

Stopping in his tracks, the stallion's royal blue gaze fell to the ground. Yes, Peter was strong, but was he truly trustworthy? Initially, he assumed Peter was, but considering there was somepony from his world bent on destruction on his way to Equestria, Shining only wanted to be certain for the sake of his kingdom that Peter was not a rogue in disguise. Surveillance seemed like a logical choice to test Parker's intent, but that notion was immediately thwarted by Princess Celestia, who already had Twilight act as Spider-Mane's guide since the day of his arrival.

Bringing his hoof over his forehead, Shining considered the information to the best of his ability, but his migraine made it rather difficult, prompting the stallion to release a disgruntled groan. There was somepony, a male somepony, living with his sister. It may have been innocent for a while, but now that she was dating him, Shining questioned if it was appropriate for Peter to remain under Twilight's observation.

Of course, Twilight insisted that she would have no difficulties carrying out this task despite her blossoming relationship with Peter. Unfortunately, much to Shining's dismay, everypony in the room backed his sister's statement. Twilight's friends were steadfastly loyal, stating how much of a friend Peter had become to them and several others in Ponyville. While they hid it well, Shining could sense some of the mares harbored deep feelings for Parker and were caught off-guard by the revelation. Despite the circumstance, however, they remained supportive.