Chapter Fourteen "Truth and Recognition

High above Canterlot, Luna sat on the roof of the castle with her watchful eye peering through a telescope, its lens focusing on the land of Equestria. While the Gala had ended a couple of hours ago, Luna wished she would have actually attended in hopes to reforge her bond with her subjects. Even Celestia encouraged her little sister to come for the simple joy of having fun. Unfortunately, Luna found her work too important to ignore, and considering her past attempts to 'mingle' with others usually ended in catastrophic failure, she was in no hurry to leave her current position anytime soon.

However, a trail of thoughts plagued the back of Luna's mind. Celestia's words regarding 'fun' seemed like a good idea, and the Outworlder, despite his lack of sense, looked to be an array of enjoyment. Luna tuned out her thoughts and scoffed at the idea. Anypony who could compare a princess to a bat was most certainly not worth the attention. Sadly, perhaps in argument with her own statement, Luna's mind focused on one of the Outworlder's final words before the end of their meeting.

'Corrupting darkness, huh? Yeah, I know what that's like.'

Luna's brow twitched. Her own mind was taunting her, playing the Outworlder's words repeatedly to no end. In a sense, though she refused to admit it for the sake of her immense pride, there was somepony in the world that could relate to Luna about such a personal topic. Not even her big sister, despite the thousands of years she's lived, had fallen into that category. It was polarizing, really. Celestia was the pure-hearted maiden that nopony could corrupt, not once falling into the depths of jealousy and rage like Luna had.

Her lips steadily curled into a smile but suddenly averted back to a scowl. Even if his words were true, it didn't change the fact that the Outworlder was a dimwit, and Luna dreaded the idea of having something in common with such a being. In spite of his behavior, Luna could not deny the happiness she felt. With very few friends and little time to spend with them, it was nice to have a mostly-normal conversation with somepony.

"Such rubbish," Luna spat, immediately wanting to chastise herself for the outburst. The Outworlder's idiocy continued to linger over the princess despite his departure back to Ponyville. Luna repositioned herself and refocused her attention back into the telescope. "I've no time for silly games. Not when Equestria is under my--"

Something had caught the mare's eye from afar. On the outskirts of the Everfree Forest, a large distortion of energy lit the usually quaint area brightly. After a few moments, the energy slowly began to take form. Luna's eyes widened as the being's piercing yellow eyes and black scaly skin came into view. Once the energy disappeared, the beast extended its wings and let out a triumphant roar.

"A dragon?" The princess muttered, astonished by its sudden appearance.

The sight of a dragon within the Everfree Forest was unusual enough, but the energy that surrounded the dragon was not its own origin. There were reports of this happening a few weeks ago, and much like before, a dragon was the center piece. Luna's mouth fell agape once a late realization came into mind. It was that very same night when the Outworlder arrived in Equestria.

If the dragon was in fact the same one from that night, it only meant Discord had sent him back, but that only disturbed Luna further considering the return was not meant to take place for another ten weeks. Unfortunately, before Luna could piece together a possible explanation, the dragon took flight and headed south of the forest. Whether or not Discord was back, two things were certain: this beast had an agenda, and it was heading for Ponyville.

With no time to consult with her sister, Luna stepped away from the telescope. "I must evacuate the village," she said as her horn glowed with clear energy, "and deal with this matter personally."