Chapter Thirty-Four "A Twilight Affair"

Nineteen Days Remain

Clouds were scattered across the darkened sky, concealing some of the stars out of jealousy, but they could not do the same for the nearly full moon, its muted rays lending light to the land. Glowing, psychedelic rainbow colors were jumbled together around the falls, mainly due to the lack of sunlight straightening them out, but the sight was a gorgeous one, something nopony ever really saw. It was fortunate Princess Luna did regularly, and that she had suggested the sight to Twilight. A gentle breeze brushed through the leaves of the forest, spreading their crisp, clean scent throughout the area.

At this hour, most of the village's inhabitants were in their homes or asleep, and this meant the Winsome Falls were practically abandoned, exactly as Twilight anticipated. She walked beside Peter through the forest path in a comfortable silence, the only sound other than their hoofsteps being the gurgling of the river and the rustling leaves. Twilight stole occasional glances out of the corner of her eye, finding Peter with his beautiful hazel gaze fixed on the ground every time. It seemed that, lost in his train of thought, he was too distracted to notice the light being refracted through the spray of the river, turning the entire thing into a churning rainbow of psychedelic whirls and eddies, even in the soft, silvery moonlight.

His brow was furrowed, revealing he was deep in thought, and small, strained grunts of pain escaped from his mouth with each misstep he took, though Peter hid his discomfort with a very forced, stiff smile. In order to provide some relief for the trip, Twilight lifted the stallion from the ground with her telekinesis, traveling with him hovering over her shoulder. Peter almost tried to complain, but the pain pulsing through his hooves made it difficult to do so (despite his diminishing pride).

Twilight frowned as her violet eyes wandered across her stallion's physique, particularly the patches of missing fur in his coat and his burned hooves. Peter was shaping up to be one of Equestria's most powerful beings, but he was certainly not invincible, something the mare had learned several times through personal experience. Twilight stopped in her tracks and directed her gaze to the river, prompting Peter to mirror her actions. The moon's reflection shone brightly at the center of the water while the clouds were a darker shade of purple along the wet surface.

Twilight's eyes widened once she found a vacant spot along the river's bank, and the mare wasted no time in taking a seat, the cool touch of the soft grass providing a comfortable seat. She turned and gently released the stallion from her telekenetic grip, giggling as she motioned for Peter to join her side. Abashed, the stallion did as he was instructed and gingerly sat along the bank, grumbling incoherently as his muscles ached in protest, but with some effort, Peter managed to find comfort through his pain, evident by the genuine smile on his face.

Unbeknownst to him, Twilight could not pry her eyes away from his body. The skin underneath his coat was an angry shade of red. While Peter's accelerated healing factor had fixed all but the worst of the damage, the average pony would still say the stallion looked absolutely terrible, with his fur in patches and skin inflamed. However, such a thought never occurred to Twilight. The color in her cheeks brightened as she leaned closer until her flank touched his, and her lips pecked his cheek affectionately. To her, Peter was gorgeous, and she felt no shame in admitting this.

"What you did today was amazing, Peter," Twilight said, finally ending the silence that built between herself and the stallion.

Peter scratched the back of his head, blushing as he accepted the compliment and act of affection. "It was nothing," he muttered, chuckling nervously. Twilight giggled at the response. It was nice knowing she could trigger this reaction in her coltfriend. After an embarrassing amount of time, Peter cleared his throat and grinned. "But I do appreciate the compliment."