Chapter Seventeen "Rise and Fall"

Trixie's gaze remained locked on the star-patterned sky behind her window. A great feeling of restraint pulled at the inside of her chest, forcing the mare to place her hoof over her skipping heart. Once she managed to calm her building nerve, Trixie left the window and took the available space on the bed next to Peter. Both sat in silence, one out of hesitance and the other out of respect, unaware their tails rested upon each other.

"As you have already heard, I was once known as one of the greatest magicians in all of Equestria, the Great and Powerful Trixie!" Her confident tone returned. With one hoof over her chest and the other extended overhead, Trixie held her head high. "Slayer of the Ursa Major! The most powerful magician of all! Trixie was nothing short of a legend in the making."

Peter's stare steadily turned blank as Trixie's ego swelled. If anything, he could say she certainly relished in her fame, but before Peter could add to that thought, Trixie's posture changed, her shoulders and head falling in a slump. While her silver blue mane hid the majority of Trixie's face from Peter's viewpoint, the frown she bore could still be felt, as if her sadness was reaching out to him.

"It's sad, really. The fame Trixie garnered all came from a lie, but I still had the audacity to brag," she said, her tone sobering. Her lips curled into a saddened smile before she rose her head slightly, freeing her gaze from the ground. "It didn't always use to be like this." Trixie shook her head. "My beginnings are far too humble for one as famous as you to understand."

"That's not true," Peter's voice was full of gentle assurance.

It came off a bit offhand, like he was merely attempting to humor Trixie. Feeling her frustration form into anger, Trixie sharply glared at Peter. She was trying to level with him, and here he was joking as per usual. It was infuriating. If it were anypony else, it wouldn't have bothered her, but for somepony who knew nothing of her history to joke at her expense was too much.

"Don't joke about it!" she snapped, her irritation seeping out. "Your abilities are extraordinary! How could you possibly understand?!"

"I'm not joking," Peter retorted, taken aback by her sudden ferocity. "I wasn't always like this. Before the accident that gave me my powers, I was just an average nerd in high school who lived with his aunt and uncle."

Trixie could only stare at the stallion, feeling inconsolable for her outburst. Peter was not like anypony she ever met. Even during the times where her condescending attitude would reach a fever pitch, Peter always remained the same, both honest and kind. Now was no different, and Trixie lashed out at Peter for no fair reason. She wrapped her hooves around herself, attempting to soothe her rattled nerves.

"I'm sorry." She muttered, uncharacteristically soft. "I shouldn't have yelled."

"It's okay. Don't worry about it."

Peter, bearing a smile, placed his hoof on Trixie's shoulder. She stared at the ground to hide her rising blush. The lump in her throat continued to grow, matched only by her quickening heartbeat. The barrier Trixie held by her iron will weakened, sending a small sense of warmth through her body. She wanted to progress and give in to the trust Peter gave her.

'Maybe he'll understand,' she thought.

"Well," Trixie's voice heightened in pitch, perhaps reaching her natural tone, "I was a gifted mare in my school. My teachers stated my magical artes were astounding, phenomenal even. Once I graduated, everypony's expectations were high, and Trixie would become the success she was meant to be!"

That same moment, Trixie's ears fell into her mane, signifying her diminishing confidence. Peter remained silent, wanting to give the mare the time she needed to gather herself. Trixie hesitantly stole a glance at the hazel-eyed stallion, finding only the same kindness in his gaze. Another layer of her barrier unraveled, allowing Trixie to reach further into the depths of her memories. The feeling in her chest tightened, but she managed to force the lump in her throat down.