Chapter Twenty "Honest Emotion"

The Manehattan Palace, a shopping center of epic proportions with the widest selection of goods, was one of the city's greatest attractions. Naturally, the girls couldn't resist a chance to go shopping at such a luxurious place and decided to venture off first thing in the morning. Peter let out a yawn as he tinkered with the device placed on his lap. As a male, he had to decline going on three counts. First, it was too early for anypony to do anything, and it wasn't often that he got to sleep in, the Crusaders and his roommates making it impossible to do so at home.

Second, there was the task at hand, or hoof in this case. Sitting upright in his chair, as if he was still a human, Peter struggled to properly make the correct adjustments to his pair of web-shooters. With the race only two days away, he figured now would be a good time to work in peace, without having to be weary of an unwanted interruption, namely by the two ponies that didn't know his secret, Octavia and Vinyl Scratch. However, the third reason was Peter's primary excuse for not tagging along with his friends.

Immediately after his conversation with Princess Luna a few hours ago, Peter started making the modifications to his web-shooters, but problems arose during the process, leading to several complications. The pony design was rather sensitive compared to the formal human's, meaning jamming was a frequent problem, and if something of the sort happened during the race, a fall from several stories was in the stallion's future. Not to mention, his web-cartridges were dangerously close to being empty, forcing Peter to recreate a new batch of gossamer from scratch.

He stayed up for a great portion of the night, determined to finish his project as soon as possible. If anypony were to see him at the moment, they'd mistake him for a zombie. Fortunately, his hard work paid off, modifications to the design were complete and the cartridges were refilled in decent time. Raising his hooves overhead, Peter let out a victorious yawn before falling over the table in a slump. There was still time for him to catch a little sleep before the trip to the Plaza. Sadly, he knew the girls were not going to allow him to miss out, even if he wanted to.

The door opened behind him, its protesting creak echoing throughout the room. Peter stole a glance out of the corner of his eye, making sure the majority of his attention remained on the device in his lap. However, upon recognizing the shade of lavender on the girl's coat, a warm smile formed on Peter's face. He placed the web-shooter on the table and turned his chair completely around. The mare raised her brow at the stallion but managed to return his smile with one of her own.

"Peter? You're still up?" Twilight whispered, maintaining her volume to a respectful level.

Her mane appeared a bit ruffled and small bags sat underneath her large eyes, showing the mare had woken up prematurely. Peter saw her like this quite a bit, usually first thing in the morning, but even in such a state, Twilight was cute. Peter's mouth opened wide, letting out a large yawn it dared not conceal. He just admitted his roommate was cute, and his brain refused to comment. Either it was finally ready to agree with Peter or it was too sleepy to retort. Peter nodded. It was probably a bit of both cases.

"Yeah, I was just making a few modifications to my web-shooters." His eyelids grew heavy, but Peter managed to keep them half-open. "What are you doing up?"

Rolling her eyes, Twilight playfully poked Peter in the side, bringing his gaze to find her free hoof pointing at the closed window across the room. Using her magic, Twilight opened the blinds, allowing the early morning sun's rays to beam into the room. Peter exhaled as he used his hooves to shield his eyes. It seemed the modifications took longer to complete than expected. Against his will, he pulled an all-nighter and was too stupid to notice.

Twilight shook her head disapprovingly. "You're just lucky the race is tomorrow and not today."

Shrugging his shoulders, Peter shook his head. "Tell me about it. I feel like a total zombie."