Chapter Thirty-One "Royal Status

Chapter Thirty-One "Royal Status"

Twenty-Two Days Remain

On the roof of the castle, Peter stood with his gaze fixed on the golden city of Canterlot, pausing to stretch in the cool night air, and he winced as his limbs protested against the sudden movement. The young stallion looked across the rolling hills surrounding the mountain, their silhouette darker than the star-pattered sky above. The battle with Sombra was rough, but Peter didn't think twice about it, knowing he had dealt with worse in the past. Right now, his mind was centered on the mare nuzzled by his side, their hooves remaining intertwined as they took in the sight together.

"So, a princess, huh? That's pretty amazing," Peter whispered, shaking his head in disbelief. "I can't even leave for a day without something happening." He reared over and planted a kiss on top of the mare's head. "But I'm still proud of you. Congratulations, Twi'."

Twilight smiled appreciatively, caressing her stallion's hoof. "Thank you, but I still wish you could have been there to see it." She hesitated for a moment before shaking her head sadly. The darkness around the horizon served as a reminder to what could have happened to her brother and lover. "I'm just happy that you came back safely... and I'm grateful. Thanks for protecting my big brother."

A brief expression passed across Peter's features as he nodded. To Twilight, it looked like relief. "Yeah, well, I'm glad I was able to. I'd rather not fail like that again." The latter part of his statement was nearly inaudible, but Twilight heard it clearly, evident by the sad, strained smile she bore. Peter returned her smile, feeling a large amount of compassion from the mare; after all, she knew what he was alluding to. Feeling too much attention was being focused on him, the stallion forcefully cleared his throat and nervously chuckled at the sight of Twilight's wings. "So when's the coronation?"

"Four days from tonight," she replied nearly too quickly, the information still fresh in her memory banks. "I'll have to stay in Canterlot to have my dress properly fitted until then. Not to mention, I'll be starting my princess training soon. It gives me time to rifle through the Canterlot archives to familiarize myself with Equestria's politics and history."

Peter glanced off to the side as a gust of wind tore through his unkempt mane."Sounds like you'll be busy."

Twilight, as if sensing his uncertainty, placed her hoof over his shoulder. "Nothing's changed between us, Peter. My home is still in Ponyville. We'll just have to adjust to my schedule in the meantime." Her voice grew surprisingly fragile in the quiet air, and she offered him a closed-eyed smile. "So you'll be there for my coronation? I'd love it if you were there."

A ghost of a sad smile hovered over Peter's mouth. "Yeah, I'll be there, but I don't think I'm fit to-" He trailed off, catching the glare Twilight threw his way out of the corner of his eye. Chuckling sheepishly, Peter attempted to mask his desolate tone and scratched the back of his head. "I mean, you're royalty. I'm a bit too common to-" Sensing that her glare remained intact, the stallion sighed and nodded. "I'll be there. I promise."

Her glare softened into aggravated concern. "You really need to stop thinking like that," she said after a few moments. Even now, Peter still had a tendency to sell himself short. Twilight smiled, taking one of his hooves with two of her own and kissing the top of it gently. "It's been a long day for both of us. Go home and rest, okay?" She reached out and brushed her hoof against her stallion's cheek. "Will you... come see me tomorrow night?"

Peter lingered for a moment, staring at the mare, but he caved in, tuning out the negative thoughts brewing in his mind for the moment. He reared down and pressed his lips against Twilight's. Though the moment was brief, lasting only a couple of seconds, it was certainly enough to speak on his behalf.