Chapter Seven "Shades of the Past, Part II"

"The monster you dare to face is a doozy, for its touch will leave you feeling woozy. The Hydra is a frightening sight at first glance, run now while you have the chance!" the zebra said, causing Peter to tilt his head to the side.

"Heck of a time to bust out a rhyme, don't you think?" Spider-Mane said before the Hydra lashed out at the pair, forcing Peter to grab the zebra and jump onto the branch of a tree. As he placed her down, Spider-Mane shifted his gaze back to their attacker. "You'll be safer here, Ms. Zebra. I'll try not to take too long."

She reached out in an attempt of protest, but Spider-Mane had already jump back into the fray. Bounding from one tree branch to the next, Peter found his great agility still intact. One of the Hydra's heads found him and attempted to chomp on his frame, but Spider-Mane jumped as high as he could, causing the beast to chew on a tree instead. A second head lunged out, hopeful it could strike while his prey was in midair.

"I used to think Equestria was safe compared to New York, but after dealing with a couple of dragons and you, I'm willing to take back what I said," Spider-Mane said, contorting his body just enough to avoid the Hydra's bite. Once he landed on the crown of the third and clueless head of the Hydra, Spider-Mane shrugged his shoulders. "So before you damage my view of this nice place, how about you leave the nice zebra alone and go back to Disney to fight Hercules?"

The fourth head lashed out to bite the bantering pest, but when Spider-Mane jumped out of the way, it wound up accidentally headbutting the third head. The second kept his eyes locked on Spider-Mane and threw his claws out in a slash attempt, but Peter's spider sense warned him of the incoming attack, allowing him to dodge the majority of the danger. Unfortunately, the Hydra still managed to slice through the costume, giving Peter a small gash across the back.

"Hey! Watch it! Try not to trash the new costume!" Spider-Mane said before the Hydra's tail came around, swatting him out of the air and through a tree. Once his body rolled to a stop, Spider-Mane placed his hoof over his forehead to stop his mind from spinning. "While you're at it, try not to trash me too badly either."

As the Hydra stomped in his direction, Peter shifted his gaze to his two front hooves. He forced the lump forming in his throat down.

"I think it's about time I test out the new web-shooters. If my calculations are right, web-swinging will be even easier than it was back when I had fingers. If I'm wrong, I'm breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a midnight snack for the Hydra Brothers."

The first and second Hydra heads lunged down towards Spider-Mane with their fangs drawn, but he galloped forward underneath their body until the third head attacked from the side. Using all of his strength, Spider-Mane back-flipped over the Hydra's bite at the last moment. However, looming over him like the sun would the Earth, the fourth head of the Hydra opened his mouth wide and rapidly descended, ready to swallow Peter whole.

"This is one heck of a field test. Come on, Parker." He closed his masked eyes and extended his two front hooves. Time was of the essence as the Hydra's mouth neared. "Just flick your wrist hard enough and-"

Immediately after following his own instructions, a strand of webbing shot out of the bottom of each hoof, sticking to the underside of the first Hydra's jaw. Spider-Mane swung out of harm's way, and the fourth Hydra wound up headbutting the third in the process. Peter released his webbing and landed on a nearby branch, laughing out loud at his accomplishment.

"Ha! It actually worked! Not having fingers ain't all bad, is it?" he said confidently before whimpering lowly. "That was too close for comfort though. I'll stick to practicing with Twilight from now on." Shifting his eyes back to the Hydra, Spider-Mane shook his head. "Before my luck runs out, let's finish this."