Chapter Eighteen "Second Thoughts"

The train ride seemed to have lasted an eternity, but after a long couple of days, the group had finally arrived in the city of Manehattan. Unlike the village of Ponyville, the buildings of the city were large, both in size and number. Each pierced the sky, reaching for the clouds overhead, and the inhabitants filled the streets to the brim, like a swarm of ants gathering around a picnic. Several food stands sat on every street corner, their tempting aromas luring dozens of ponies to their vicinities.

Billboards with various advertisements hung across the city, from the top of buildings to the back side of the food stands. A large balloon floated gracefully in the air, allowing its flag to drift mercifully at the wind's beck and call. One would say this was Equestria's version of a blimp. Even a newspaper caddy stood, holding the latest news in hoof and screaming at others to read all about it. To most, this would come off as a bit chaotic.

Peter's lips curled into a smile. For him, it was almost like home.

He sat perched on the side of a building with his mask pulled halfway over his face, revealing only his snout and mouth. The girls were already on their way to the Manehattan Palace, but Peter decided to head off on his own, figuring it'd be best for Spider-Mane to meet with Spitfire right away. After all, he had to learn about the rules, map, and stipulations. Pulling his mask down to conceal the rest of his face, Spider-Mane stood up straight and peered down, admiring the view from the magnificent height the skyscraper provided.

However, a blue streak speeding through the sky caught his eye, more so when it approached him at a dangerous velocity. Peter remained still, waiting for his spider sense to give him a fair warning, and once it never came, the stallion flipped from his position to the edge of the building above, landing in a squatted position. Suddenly, the streak came to a stop in midair just inches away from Spider-Mane, revealing a familiar rainbow-patterned mane and tail.

"Rainbow Dash? Why aren't you with the others?" he asked, tilting his head to the side. A realization came into mind, causing Spider-Mane to shift his sight from the Pegasus to his current surroundings. "And how did you find me?!"

As her wings flapped to keep her body airborne , Rainbow folded her hooves and scoffed. "I followed you."

Spider-Mane lowered his head, unable to hide his gawking expression through his mask. "You did what?!"

Rainbow waved her hoof dismissively. "I had to make sure nopony saw you. Changing in an alleyway is pretty risky, you know."

Peter grinned. "If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were stalking me, Skittles."

"Shut up! It's nothing like that!" She shot back, flustered. As Spider-Mane beamed, chuckling at her expense, Rainbow closed her eyes in an attempt to tune out her raging thoughts. "I just wanted to go with you to see Spitfire." Her voice was unusually soft, coming off as a plea, and she knew it, clearing her throat afterward. "I mean, for all I know, you won't make it to the hotel. Seriously, you think you can make it there on your little webs?"

"Can I make it on my little webs? Ha!" Spider-Mane sarcastically replied, holding his hooves out in an awkward pose. "I'm the guy who made web-swinging original."

"Is that a fact?" Rainbow raised her brow, shifting her violet gaze to the streets far below. Despite holding a smirk, a look of worry filled the mare's features. "You sure it's safe? I mean, it's a long drop."

Shifting his hooves to mimic a bodybuilder, Spider-Mane posed for a second time. "It's a good thing I have super strength and durability. I can survive a drop from here. And then some." He added lately, recalling a time he fell from twenty stories. 'Stupid Vulture... jamming my web-shooters like that. I'm just glad that car broke my fall.'