Chapter Fifty-Six "Prelude to Battle"

Eighteen Days Remain until the portal closes...

Peter knocked on the door to Luna's room. Morning had come relatively quickly, although the young man couldn't bring himself to sleep during the night. He still felt ecstatic about the news Twilight gave him last night. Peter Parker, a guy who was down on his luck a few months ago, was going to be a father and start a family. However, as much as he would have loved to revel in this fleeting feeling, there were things that needed to be done to ensure the safety of Equestria, Earth, Twilight, the baby, and the rather thin fabric of reality itself. Peter knew the best way to start was to talk with Princess Luna about the Equestrian Saber, as well as other matters.

He only hoped the princess was willing to converse, seeing as she had cut herself off from the group ever since she was freed from Venom's control. Fortunately, it seemed Luna had considered the invitation; magical energy turned the knob before opening the door. Peter slowly made his way inside, pausing once the magic closed the door behind him. His eyes widened once they found Luna, the woman sitting at the head of the bed with a dreary gaze, slumped shoulders, and knees pulled to her breasts. Peter took a seat at the foot of the bed before placing the sheathed saber on the chair across the room.

Luna raised her head and met his gaze, smiling momentarily before her eyes drifted to the side shamefully. The princess wanted nothing more than to exile herself to the moon for allowing Peter into the room. She did not deserve to live-let alone be allowed within close proximity of anyone-but Luna longed just to see Peter's face. It was selfish to think like this after what had transpired. Luna's eyes softened. She was pathetic.

Peter broke Luna's train of thought with a smile. "Hey. How are you holding up?"

Luna shook her head. "What kind of question is that? You shouldn't have come here, Peter." Her tone was low, representing her melancholic demeanor. The princess alternated her gaze between Peter and the ground. The young man refused to leave her side, scooting closer even as Luna attempted to increase the distance between them. She chided herself. Princess Luna, proud co-ruler of Equestria, was stricken with trepidation, evident by her shivering hands. Luna bit her lip, gathering her diminishing resolve before glaring at Peter. "Leave at once. I have nothing to say to you."

Peter's expression stiffened, but he held his position firmly. "Come on. Don't be like that. The worst thing you can do right now is shut everyone out. When Gwen died, I pushed everyone away. It wasn't until I came to Equestria that I started to learn how much it helps to have friends. Twilight. Applejack. . I'm here because of all of you never stopped believing in me. We're friends forever, right?" Luna recoiled at the young's man soft yet firm declaration, his gentleness chipping away slowly at her hard exterior like a chisel. She weakly nodded, prompting Peter to place a hand over her leg. "What happened yesterday... it wasn't your fault."

Gritting her teeth, Luna rose from the bed and stomped past Peter until she reached the window. "Cease at once! Your maudlinness makes me sick." She clutched at the wall before turning around, poking her finger accusingly against the young man's chest. "You held back during our fight yesterday because you believed in me! Your foolishness cost you your life!" Luna's eyes were bloodshot, her tears pouring profusely.

Peter placed his hands on Luna's shoulders. "...andyousavedmylife. That is the Luna I know. It's that Luna that's become one of my closest friends."

She finally managed to hold eye contact with Peter, her choked sobs growing in volume. "Why? How could you hold me so close?! I am in love with you, and the symbiote turned my feelings against you! I am nothing but a weakling, helpless before my impending darkness. Twice,twiceI had to be rescued by Twilight Sparkle! She had every right to destroy me, but she didn't. What good am I when I can't control my own power?!"