Chapter Thirty-Six "Eyes in the Back of His Head, Part I

Chapter Thirty-Six "Eyes in the Back of His Head, Part I"

Eighteen Days Remain

Trixie's eyes widened at the image within the crystal ball. Standing upright on his two rear legs, the furless creature screamed in pain as a spider bit into his hand with enough force to draw blood. He recoiled, swatting the arachnid to the ground in the process, and before the spider could recover, one of the other furless beings rushed in and stomped on it, killing it. The crystal ball zoomed in on the bitten individual. His brow furrowed over his hazel eyes, his gaze centered on his wounded hand. Despite not having fur and being part of a different species, Trixie saw an odd resemblance between the individual in the crystal ball and the pony that had grown to become her closest friend.

Using his free hand to adjust the glasses over his eyes, the (presumably) young male groaned. "Oh, that spider's got a mean bite."

Trixie's ears perked. "That voice! He sounds just like-!"

Twilight nodded. "Yes. That's Peter before he transformed into a pony." She sighed. "I brought him here with a summoning spell when Discord's dragon attacked Ponyville a few months ago."

"Transformed? Summoning spell?" Trixie blurted, shifting her gaze between the crystal ball and Twilight.

The images continued to play out, following Peter as he struggled to make it home and not pass out from whatever the bite was doing to him. Trixie's mind struggled to register what it was seeing: he lived within what appeared to be a verylargecity with skyscrapers and countless of the same mostly-hairless bipeds. It took a couple of minutes before she could accept that the place in which Peter traveled was indeed someplace other than Equestria. The silver-and-blue maned unicorn rested her forehead in her hooves, suddenly dizzy, and the urge to faint was proving rather difficult to resist.

Fortunately, she fought it down and even managed to snort a laugh under her breath, avoiding a commotion in front of everypony. "I don't believe it. My best friend is an alien." That was just...surreal. The first pony to see her for who she really was turned out to not be a pony at all. "So what does that say about me?"

Twilight reached over and placed her hoof over the former stage magician's shoulder. "Are you okay, Trixie?"

Much to Twilight's surprise, Trixie bore an honest smile, something she chose to reserve for a select few. "Yes, Twilight. I'm perfectly fine." She gathered her posture and sat properly at the table. "Trixie alwaysdidsay Parker was the oddest pony she'd ever met." The projection dissipated, allowing another image to form in its place. Trixie bit her lip and centered her focus on the crystal ball once more. "Now it makes sense."

The image faded in. Peter stood before his bedroom mirror, staring at himself.

The figure in the mirror remained slack-jawed, but they could still hear his voice rather clearly, though it sounded oddly wavery, as though it wasn't a voice at all.'What the heck is going on? My body's...ripped. Did I sleepwalk my way to the gym last night or what?! Wait a minute. I'm not even wearing my glasses, and I can see perfectly! How...did this happen?'

Rainbow Dash grinned, unaware that with her mouth open, it appeared as if she was staring. "Whoa. So that's how he got that amazing body." Pinkie Pie tilted her head to the side, a knowing look pasted on her features. Dash noticed, and the pegasus held up her hooves defensively and stammered,"W-What?!"

Over the next few scenes, the ponies managed to discern that the spider that bit him was genetically altered and enhanced from scientific experiments. With its bite, Peter had become a superbeing - according to Twilight, superhuman- gifted with the proportionate strength of a spider, a sixth sense for danger, lightning-fast reflexes, unmatched agility, superior flexibility, and the ability to cling to almost any surface.