Chapter Thirty-Five "Sharing is Caring

Chapter Thirty-Five "Sharing is Caring"

Eighteen Days Remain

The hours were early by his standards, but Peter found himself wide awake before noon. It was a small price the stallion had to pay for sharing the same bed as Twilight last night, but Peter didn't mind as he sat outside of the throne room with his gaze fixed on the ground. A meeting was called between Shining Armor and Princesses Celestia, Luna, Cadance, and Twilight, but Peter was asked to wait outside for the moment. From what he'd gathered, the discussion was centered around Spider-Mane's bout with Celestia and his decision to reveal his identity to the public.

Celestia promised that Twilight's part in the meeting would be short, thus giving the young couple the entire day to sort things out. While Peter's wounds had healed exceptionally well overnight, considering the level of damage his body sustained, the stallion advised (borderline ordered) by Cadance to keep from doing anything strenuous for the day. The alicorn even filled the missing patches of fur in for the stallion, hiding the evidence of the previous battle.

Peter's mind was centered on another matter. He was going to reveal his identity to the world soon. That fact alone kept the stallion on edge. As towhenthat would happen remained to be seen, but before the news can go public, there were a few select ponies Peter wanted to share his secret with first. That meant two stops had to be made once Twilight concluded her business with the others. It was only right to tell these specific ponies the truth, considering how close they were to him personally (or would be soon, anyway). Peter's heart rate quickened, a sign of his well-developed trepidation.

There would be consequences for this course of action. Peter accepted that, but he only hoped their reactions wouldn't be negative or volatile. Suddenly, his ears perked at the sound of the door's protesting creak as it slid open. Peter turned his head in its direction, only to be greeted by Twilight's beautiful smile. The temperature in the stallion's face rose. The mare bore the same smile earlier in the morning, both in her sleep and when she awoke. Its effect was telling, fueling Peter's desire to match Twilight's smile to the best of his ability, but the task was impossible, for he could never replicate something so beautiful.

Forcing himself to his hooves, the stallion found himself drowning in the ocean of bliss as he made his way over to the mare, refusing to divert his gaze elsewhere. The best he could do was ensure Twilight stayed happy and smiled like this more often.

Peter tilted his head to the side. "How'd the meeting go? What's the word?"

Twilight stood silent for a few seconds, inflating the stallion's nervousness by a considerable margin, but she broke her silence with an innocent giggle. "They're all happy you considered this." Her smile seemed permanent. "It was agreed that your revealing and ceremony will take place the same night as my princess coronation. Minutes after, to be exact." She closed the gap between herself and Peter, their muzzles only inches apart. "Is that okay with you?"

Peter's eyes widened but quickly fell to the side, shame filling them. "The same night? But the coronation's meant to beyournight!" Shaking his head disapprovingly, the stallion sighed solemnly and placed his hoof over the mare's cheek."We can reschedule. I want my princess to have her moment. Trust me. You've earned it."

Twilight's smile deepened as her heart swelled. "You're so sweet, Peter, but I talked it over with Princess Celestia already. All things considered, I want it to beournight." Giggling, the mare stepped past the stallion, but not before planting a sweet kiss on his cheek, and once he nodded in defeated fashion, Peter followed, walking alongside her. "So are you sure you want to do this now? We can wait for them to find out during the coronation," Twilight suggested, taking a moment to readjust the crown on her head with her golden-laced hoof. It would take some time to get used to having to wear such attire on a daily basis. "I don't want you to think youhaveto do this for my sake. We're already asking enough of you as it is."