Chapter Twenty-Three "Mist and Shadows, Part I"

A bright flash of energy appeared at the doorstep of Twilight Sparkle's house before dissipating, revealing the lavender mare alongside her stallion. Whereas Twilight bore an innocent smile, Peter appeared rather exasperated as his brow twitched involuntarily. Only a couple of days had passed since he awoke from his coma, but thanks to the good, natural state of his recovery (and some persuasion from Princess Celestia), the doctors allowed the patient to return home on the grounds that he refrain from applying any pressure on his broken leg until his boot was ready.

Sadly, this meant Peter was going to be confined to either a wheelchair or a bed for the next few days. Even though his vision had fully recovered, the same could not have been said about his physical being. Unfortunately, while his healing factor was far greater than the average human's, it paled in comparison to the likes of Wolverine. Plus, his super powers had not fully returned, meaning his spider-sense, strength, agility, and ability to stick to walls were still lost. Peter scoffed. It was irritating. There was nothing he could do for the time being to earn his gifts back.

Yet, the majority of his frustration was not in the fact that his powers were gone. On a personal level, Peter would have settled for crutches, something far more subtle, but Twilight insisted otherwise, figuring a wheelchair was the best and safest mean of transportation. Sitting with a furrowed brow and scowl, the stallion tapped his hoof feverishly on the arm of the wheelchair. The cast on his leg and bandages around his head were more than enough for Peter to look and, more importantly, feel ridiculous.

"Seriously, Twilight. The wheelchair is a bit much," Peter groaned, resisting the urge to stand under his own power. If not for the excruciating pain that would ensue or the scolding Twilight was sure to unleash, he certainly might have tried it. "I'm only going from one bed to another. I don't want to become a spectacle on wheels."

"We're only following the doctor's instructions," Twilight calmly countered, paying her stallion's annoyance no mind.

Her stallion. Twilight's smile grew in width at the sound of those lovely words. It felt so nice to call Peter that. Unfortunately, she could not relish the feeling for long, thanks to the groans that escaped from the male. He had been like this since last night, begging that the wheelchair be left behind, but his whining was on par with the usual ones Peter exuded whenever he was woken up early (by his standards), making it easy for Twilight to ignore him for the most part.

The mare's horn began to sparkle with bright, violet energy, a slip of paper levitating from her knapsack and maintaining a position in midair inches away from her face. "He was very specific that you avoid putting any weight on your leg whatsoever. You may not like it, but the wheelchair is meant to help you." She paused, causing the paper to disappear from sight in a flash, and gave the stallion a stern glare. "And it will."

Peter groaned, folding his hooves in defeated fashion. Twilight was already impossible to argue with under normal circumstances, but now that she was his girlfriend (marefriend by Equestrian definition), Peter knew that from the day forward he would have to bite the nail to keep her happy. Yet, despite his irritated state of mind, the stallion managed a smile, allowing the mare to respond with one of her own. Sure, he'd be immobile for days or weeks, depending on the full return of his powers, but it would not be so bad with the quirky librarian by his side.

"All right, Twilight," he said, reaching out until his hoof fell over the mare's shoulder. A late realization came into mind, prompting a serious expression to form on the stallion's face. "Looks like you can finally tell me what I've been missing over the week."