Chapter Forty-Two "Game Night

Chapter Forty-Two "Game Night"

Sixteen Days Remain

"Honey, I'm up for game night, but I think you're taking this rather seriously," Peter quietly stated as he trotted with a twin set of knapsacks on his sides.

Keeping her violet gaze centered on the checklist, the mare scoffed. "There is nothing wrong with a little organization." She blankly stared at the stallion from the corner of her eye. "That is something you almostneverpractice."

Peter held his head high, grinning. "I don't organize. I improvise."

Twilight let out an exasperated groan before placing her checklist into one of the knapsacks' pockets. "Isthatwhat you call it? You just bumble your way through everything. That's not improvising! That's just... reacting." She poked the stallion over the snout. "Well, those days are over, mister. As long as you'remystallion, I'll make sure you have some form of order in your life."

"Looking forward to it- Ow!" Peter deadpanned, receiving a swift kick to the side from his mare. He sighed. "What I mean is that we're going here to eat and play games! There's nothing complicated about that." They reached the guarded area of the castle gate, but the knights bowed out of respect before the pair, allowing them to pass. Once out of hearing range, Peter smirked. "You go in with an uptight attitude, and everypony will mistake you for the party pooper. Try to cut loose and have fun! Besides, it's not like we're the ones hosting game night, right?"

Her eyes shot open and cheeks flushed, as if the alicorn's mind registered the fact just now. "Oh! Well... you're right. I got so excited I forgot this was Cadance's idea." Clearing her throat, Twilight stopped at the large, double door and used her magic to pull the bell. Its ring echoed throughout the vicinity, making it impossible to ignore. Her embarrassment subsided, allowing the mare to nod confidently. "It's just as well. Things will go accordingly with Cadance hosting tonight. So I'm counting onyouto behave. Okay, Peter?" Her brow rose at the lack of an immediate response. "Peter?"

The stallion stared at the colossal tower they were preparing to enter, particularly its crystalline design. "This is the second time I've come here, and this placestillreminds me of the Fortress of Solitude. Are you sure this isn't Superman's hideout?" He turned his head to the homes surrounding the castle. "Better yet, I'd say the Crystal Empire was actually Krypton." Peter's face beamed at a realization. "Hey, is Princess Celestia from here? I bet she absorbs yellow sun energy, no doubt making her the Mare of Steel. It makes so much more sense now."

Twilight groaned, slamming her hoof over her forehead. "No, it doesn't! Nopony understands it but you! What have I told you about that?!" She pointed her hoof at the stallion, glaring at him intently. "Look! No references tonight! You're going to be on your best behavior! Got it?!"

"Every party needs a pooper. That's why they invited you. Party pooper. Party-" Peter sang before stopping abruptly, Twilight's glare giving a fair amount of warning. Chuckling nervously, the stallion reared over and planted a swift kiss on his mare's cheek as the door creaked open. He hoped that would deflate Twilight's irritation. He smiled coyly. "Okay, okay. I'll behave. I still want my surprise, after all."

His charm seemed to have worked, evident by the smile on the alicorn's face. "Let's hope you do." The door to the castle finally opened completely, prompting the ponies to straighten their posture. The magical energy surrounding the door dissipated, and before long, the Princess of the Crystal Empire stepped outside, greeting the couple with a smile as she held a small glass by her head. Twilight giggled. "Cadance! Thanks for having us!"