Chapter Twenty-Seven "Parental Guidance"

There were some things in life Peter experienced that would test the mettle of others, and usually he was forced to deal with each situation without any form of preparation. From spur-of-the-moment bank robberies, high-speed chases, random super villain encounters, and last-minute requests from Aunt May to buy a dozen eggs, Peter was used to dealing with events thrown in his lap. However, the stallion was more suited to improvise when his life was in danger, for he had managed to live this long without getting himself killed.

The same couldn't be said about his personal life. Anything coming at the last moment usually ended in disaster. Peter stood with his forced smile intact, mentally trying to regulate his quickening heartbeat as his mind registered the sight of Twilight's parents with immense struggle. Ordinarily, a girl would pass off a warning to her boyfriend (or coltfriend, as the case may be) regarding her parents, but Peter chided himself for attempting to use rationality when it came to Twilight, a mare who was unusual in her own right.

'Hey! Don't stand there like a deer in the headlights! Introduce yourself!' Peter's mind screamed, prompting the stallion to shake his head and bring himself back to reality. Slowly but surely, he separated himself from Twilight, although he inwardly begged to be taken back in her protective grasp. The lump in his throat grew uncomfortably large, making the simple act of breathing nearly impossible to perform, but he managed to force down a swallow before stopping inches away from Twilight. 'Fighting super-powered crazies is much easier than this. Is that even natural?'

"Twilight didn't tell me we were visiting you today. If I knew we were, I would've baked you a cake," Peter chuckled, his nervousness apparent in his voice. Small beads of sweat formed along his forehead, clear signs of his elevating body temperature. Perhaps out of instinct, Peter shifted his gaze to the older mare first, finding the similar version (albeit a more mature version with notable differences) of his marefriend somewhat relaxing. He extended his hoof out. "She likes to keep me on my hooves, I guess. My name's Peter. It's nice to meet you."

Peter remained in that position for what felt like an eternity, unaware that a flush had consumed his cheeks. The entire world fell silent, the only sound to reach his ears being his own heartbeat. In his imagination, Peter felt himself shrinking. Even the ants could laugh at how small he had grown, but as if sensing his immense despair, Twilight's mother pressed her hoof against his softly, accepting the gesture. Her sky blue eyes softened as she brought her other hoof over the stallion's, using both to soothe out the tremors that coursed through his limb.

"You poor thing. Relax!" she cheerfully said, smiling. Relinquishing her grip, the older mare brushed a few strands of her violet and white mane behind her ear before placing her hoof over her chest. "As you already heard, I'm Twilight's mother, but you may call me Velvet." Her smile grew in width as she extended her hoof to the stallion by her side. "This is my husband, Nightlight. We're quite happy to have you!"

Nightlight approached Peter, and both stallions were quick to shake each others hooves. "Indeed. I'm happy my little girl has found somepony."

Velvet's smile was rather infectious, causing Peter to mirror her action. Twilight found a place by her stallion's side once more, giggling as he chuckled sheepishly. Peter shifted his gaze between both mares, noting how much of a resemblance they shared. Father time and mother nature provided a few differences, but the stallion felt his heart swell with a new sense of affection. Leaning over, Peter pressed his lips against Twilight's cheek, causing the mare to stammer about.

"P-Peter? What was that for?" Her cheeks burned, intensifying once her gaze fell on his cheeky grin.

"I just wanted to let you know how beautiful you are to me," he said confidently before shifting his smile to Velvet, "and I have your mom to thank!"