Chapter Twenty-Five "Mist and Shadows, Part III"

I suppose I shall start from the beginning. As you already know, I am Discord, the Spirit of Disharmony and Chaos. All I want in life is to have fun and spread chaos throughout the world. Unfortunately for me, the world is full of up-tights who are afraid to break the social chain of normality. So, in order to keep their boring world in peace, Celestia and Luna used the Elements of Harmony to seal me away for quite some time.

Eventually I freed myself and learned that neither princess could wield the one power capable of stopping me. Oh, how momentous was this? The only two beings that could fully resist my powers no longer had the means to stop me! To make matters better, they were entrusted to six hapless young girls. With my powers of persuasion, I was easily able to best the Elements of Harmony. Rather, I would have if not for Twilight Sparkle and the Element of Magic.

I can separate and corrupt the other Elements at will, but there was something unusual that prevented me from doing the same to Twilight. I'll give Celestia this. She knew what she was doing when she chose her apprentice.

Sadly history repeated itself, and I was sealed away, doomed to spend hundreds of years trapped in stone once again. Beaten by six teenagers. It was surely a difficult pill to swallow. Fortunately, (with the utmost concentration, mind you) I was able to free my spirit from my body and travel throughout the astral plane. I could watch events unfold from the real world, but I could not interact with anypony or anything.

All I could do was bide my time, plan my escape, and hope to find a weakness to the Element of Magic. I, at first, believed her friends were the answer, but I dared not try the exact same plan twice. Chaos could not become predictable or recyclable. Surely, I could find something more potent. I was tempted to used Shining Armor in my plans. Considering how close he and his sister were, it was perfect.

If Twilight's friends could bring her so low, imagine how she would feel if her 'Big Brother Best Friend' turned against her. The poor thing wouldn't have the will to do anything, let alone oppose me.

However, as I was, I couldn't influence anypony. Luckily, the chaos from the Canterlot Wedding and Sombra's return gave me some of my old strength back, but it was still sorely lacking compared to my deity standard. Yet, I still felt confident that I would be able to return in a few months. With so much time to spare in the astral plane, I began to test my limits in an attempt to broaden my powers of influence.

It was quite troublesome, really. Without my body, I could barely control a fraction of my powers. I was forced to improvise and find somepony who wouldn't resist me.

This is where Efreet came into play.

I figured including chaos into the world would help add to my strength. All I needed was a strong-armed and simple-minded stooge to do the dirty work for me. A dragon seemed to be a logical choice. They were large and could spread chaos with their presence alone, but I just couldn't use just any dragon. By all means, no. Efreet was perhaps the largest of his species, and those black scales of his held such an intimidating tone. With a little persuasion, he would make for the perfect minion.

I managed to strengthen Efreet a bit before I sent him to Ponyville. I only wanted him to spread the message of my return throughout the village and scare the locals. A relatively harmless task, honestly, but once that blasted beast started destroying everything in sight, I found out I still lacked the power to control Efreet completely. The best I could was bring that dragon back to the astral plane. Unfortunately, the spell would take minutes to conjure up in my weakened state, something I fear Ponyville didn't have.