Chapter Twenty-Two "Pink and Purple"

Peter's mind came to a halt, slurring as it struggled to come back to terms with reality after what felt like an endless, recurring nightmare. Initially, he was about to panic due to the fact that his costume and mask were removed, but after learning Canterlot was his current locale, Peter managed to remain calm by clinging to a tiny thread of hope. Had either Celestia or Luna's influence been a factor during the aftermath of the accident, then there was a chance Spider-Mane's secret identity had not been revealed to the world.

It was faint, but he needed something to grasp to keep from falling into a deep rooted panic.

Peter sighed inwardly. Pinkie Pie's overly-positive outlook on life was rubbing off on him. Which brought the current situation back into mind. While Peter was grateful for a guest, he wished to have been greeted by any of his closest friends, namely the ones that knew of his tie-in with Spider-Mane. They could properly inform him of what transpired since his loss of consciousness. Whether or not the pyrotechnics backfiring was truly an accident, how Pinkie actually got Trixie into a cheerleader's outfit, and why Twilight's sister-in-law, of all ponies, was present.

He stared, or rather squinted, at the mare for several moments, and after an embarrassing amount of time, Peter managed to spot a pair of wings on her sides. The stallion's brow furrowed, showing his befuddlement. The mare was not a unicorn as he originally thought, but an alicorn like Celestia and Luna. She was tall in stature as well, perhaps not quite the height of either co-ruler of Equestria, but certainly when compared to Peter.

'Is there a third goddess I didn't know about? If so, Twilight certainly crowds herself with celebrities.' However, realizing he was staring (finally), Peter shook his head and scratched the side of his jaw. 'Real smooth, Parker. This conversation's off to a great start.'

The last thing Peter wanted to do was leave a bad impression on a stranger, let alone a close relative of the girl he really liked. Nervous laughter escaped from the stallion. "Sorry, I sort of blanked out for a moment there. You said your name was Cadance, right?"

His laughter grew inadvertently. 'Stop laughing, moron!'

Heeding his mind's screams, Peter placed his hoof over his mouth and cleared his throat, forcefully. "Not to sound rude, but what are you doing here, visiting me? We've never even met."

Smiling, the alicorn nodded. "I understand where you're coming from, and it's only fair I explain myself." Her bright violet gaze shifted to the open window before falling back to the bed-ridden stallion. "It's been a week since your accident. Twilight's stayed here and waited for you to wake up the entire time." Cadance shook her head, the smile on her face remaining warm. "Poor thing. She hasn't slept for days. I practically had to beg her to go home and get some rest yesterday. The only way she agreed to it was if I promised to stay here in her place for the night."

"I've been out for a week?!" Peter blurted out, sending a jolt through his broken limb. As he clutched at his leg, murmuring several expletives under his breath, the stallion's eyes widened at a late realization before softening with remorse. "Twilight's been with me the entire time?" A saddened smile formed on his features. "That dork. I didn't mean to make her worry. Is she okay?"

Cadance raised her brow questionably. "Unbelievable. You've just woken from a week-long coma, and you're worried about somepony else?" Peter's ears perked as his face flushed with embarrassment. Yet, the alicorn giggled innocently. "Twilight was right. You're very caring."

The temperature in Peter's face elevated, evident by the shade of crimson that rose within his cheeks. "She actually said that? Twilight gives me way too much credit. If anypony's caring, it's her."