Twenty-nine: summer days

August 18, 2006

It was Saturday and I was bored out of my mind. It was hot, like 94 degrees hot. In Atlanta, the hottest was in the 70s to 80s in August.

So when I woke up to it being 94 out side, I was sweating like a fountain. It was unbelievable. Why did I move here?

Spencer being the sweetest boy, went to the nearest store to get an air conditioner and a fan. We didn't have a fan anywhere in the apartment and I realize how stupid we were.

Almost all the ACs, fans or even one of those small fans I had as a kid. Spencer told me there was only a small AC but anything would do.

The only problem was that we couldn't figure out how to put the AC in the window. So what do you do when you can't figure out how to do a simple task? Call Morgan.

"We can figure it out, don't call Morgan Y/n." Spencer pleaded. It's been about thirty minutes since Spencer came home and told me he could put it in the window, but it hasn't happened.

"Spencer, I'm very hot and need to be cooled down. If that AC isn't in the window by the time I finish using the bathroom, I'm gonna call Morgan." I was literally at my breaking point. I didn't want to yell at Spencer but it's his ego or dehydration.

I walked away towards the bathroom to do my Business. After about five minutes, I came back out and Morgan was in the middle of our living room.

I sighed in relief, "hey Morgan." I called from the hallway behind them. Derek turned around and smiled. I never realized how close Morgan lived until he got here within five minutes.

"Hey pretty lady, your knight in shining armor has arrived." He said playfully. I rolled my eyes while chuckling. I looked over to Spencer. He was sitting on the couch, reading a book.

Then I turned towards the window, the AC was in place and cold wind was getting drifted into our apartment. I sighed in relief that it was there.

"Thank you Morgan for helping with the AC." I said. He nodded and said his goodbyes as he was leaving. I looked back at Spencer again, he was still reading his book. I walked over and sat down next to him.

"Hey Spence." I said quietly. He looked up at me and frowned.

"You know if you waited a little longer I would have got the AC in." He replied. I rolled my eyes playfully before looking at what he was reading. The title was in French so I didn't know what it was.

"The Picture of Dorian Gray, I have a French copy." He answered my question without even knowing. I smiled. Then I thought about how mean I was to him when I told him to call Derek.

"Spence, I was not mad at you when you couldn't get the ac in. I was really hot and my mind was a little bit angry." I said sheepishly. He turned to me and smiled softly.

"I get it. When I moved here I didn't the understand whether. So I was grumpy at work a few times." He replied. I smiled and kissed his cheek. His face brightened on the spot and he kissed me back.

After a second, I got up and walked to the kitchen to make some lunch. I was feeling courteous so I called Spencer to see if you want something.

"Spence you want lunch? I was gonna make some sandwiches or a salad but do you want to go out or something?" He was right in front of me in seconds. He was smiling ear to ear.

"I would love to go out to lunch with you." He replied quickly. I giggled and went to grab my bag. I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt, my hair looks normal and I'm wearing flip flops. I think I look fine.

We walked out, hand in hand as we search for a restaurant we can eat at. After a good twenty minutes of walking, we were in downtown DC. All the good places are there.

We walked up to a cute café call Bellerose's Books and Brews. It had small bookshelves lining the walls and Old relics, in the center had cute little two seated tables and some benches near the window. When you walk in, you see a barista and a kitchen halfway in the back serving coffee, muffins and donuts.

There were cute little plants hanging from the ceiling and on shelves. Along with old styled lamps in the corners. The place looked like a 50s and 70s café combined.

It wasn't busy, so we walked inside and was greeted by a barista. She was short, like 5, 1 to 5,2 short. She had shoulder length wavy brown hair, bluish greenish eyes. She was wearing short jean shorts that we're tucked in to a white shirt.

She looked very stressed out, and young. Like 14 to 15 young. We walked up and she gave us a nervous smile.

"How can I help you two?" I smiled at her kindly. I looked at the menu them back at her, then her name tag.

Sadie

It read. I locked eyes with her with a smile. I turned to Spencer before telling her our order.

"I'll have a chocolate glazed doughnut please, and with sprinkles. Also I'll have a medium iced lemonade please." She nodded and looked at Spencer.

"I'll have a chocolate doughnut and a small black Coffee with sugar packets on the side please." He said. She nodded and wrote everything down.

"All righty, I'll call you two up when it's ready. What's the name?" She said. I told her Y/n and She nodded but before she could leave I called out to her,

"Take your time we aren't in a rush." She smiled sweetly and headed behind and into the kitchen. We walked over to the small bench by the window.

I haven't looked at Spencer since we got in so I turned to look at him. He was in aw. He was looking around and seeing all the old books. The book genres ranged from everything. To horror to comedy to murder to children friendly. He was like a kid on Christmas.

"That girl seemed like it was her first day." I told Spencer quietly. He nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, she was like 14 or 15. Probably first job too. Did you know that the name Bellerose also means Beautiful rose? Like In Beauty and the beast, how everyone liked Belle and called her beautiful it's because Belle is another name for Beautiful?" He rambled. I smiled softly at him.

"No i didn't know that. How do you think of the place? The name Bellerose's books and brews is nice." I commented. He lit up again. After a long ramble, the barista called my name.

We walked up and grabbed our stuff, I tried to pay but Spencer was being stubborn by saying I 'paid last time and he should pay.' The girl chuckled at us before handing our stuff.

"Have a good day now." She called to us. I turned around and said,

"You too, i'm guessing this is your first day on the job so good luck with that." She chuckled in surprise.

"How could ya tell? It is the first time I'm on register but I've been working behind the scenes for my whole life." My eyes widened.

'Shes so nervous and scared how could her parents do that? But then again if she's getting paid...' I thought to myself.

"Well you're doing a nice job so far." I replied. She smiled. I waved goodbye and she waved at me. I just smiled to myself.

"You wanna head home now or do something else?" Spencer asked after a couple minutes of walking. I shrugged but decided the AC was worth going home for.

"I say we should go home it's very hot out and I didn't think you could drink coffee in the heat." I said to Spencer. He chuckled and we walked home, relaxing for the rest of the day to prepare for work tomorrow.

'So I want kids? Nah. Maybe...'

An: ngl the name Sadie came from my dog and Bellerose can for a kid at my school. 🐸