Chapter 3 - A Mother's Guidance

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

As Hogwarts' winter recess came to an end, Merope called her son into their small kitchen one frigid morning as she sat at the table, "Tom?"

From his bedroom down the short hallway, Tom heard his mother's voice and answered after he came into the kitchen with a frown, "Yes, mother?"

"I bought this yesterday from the florist on my way home." Merope explained as she presented her son with a single red rose.

"In the middle of winter?" Tom blinked.

"That's what a florist does." Merope smiled, "They sell beautiful flowers all year long. I chose this one because it has so few flaws, do you see?"

Tom took the rose from Merope and silently inspected the rose for a moment before his dark eyes flickered back to her.

When he nodded in agreement, Merope flashed him a bittersweet smile and went on, "If I still had my powers, I could do it, but I'm afraid you'll have to instead......hold the tip of your wand to the bottom of the stem, think of Harriet Potter, and then say her name."

Tom looked at Merope incredulously but she nodded as she urged him, "Go on!"

He left the room to retrieve his wand and after he returned to the kitchen a moment later, he did exactly as Merope instructed.

Tom scowled at the flower while he pressed the tip of his wand to its stem, closed his eyes, and murmured, ".....Harriet Potter."

When he opened his eyes again, he watched in wonder as a small burst of bright light shot out of his wand's tip to encircle the flower from stem to blossom in a dazzling enchantment.

"Very good, darling!" Merope clapped.

"What am I supposed to do with this, Mother?" Tom frowned up at Merope.

Merope laughed as she reached out, combed her fingers through her son's dark hair, and explained, "Well, sweetheart, you're supposed to give that to Harriet Potter as a gift........under that enchantment, the rose won't wilt, you see? She'll have something beautiful to remind her of you every time she looks at the flower."

"Why should I give her a gift?" Tom asked with narrowed eyes.

Merope sighed.

She realized that she had an awful lot to teach her son.

"Do you want Harriet Potter to like you as much as you like her?" Merope asked.

Tom nodded.

"Then give her the flower when you get back to school." Merope replied as she crossed her arms, "Flowers are excellent starters for romance and red roses represent love."

"Why is there only one?" Tom frowned at his singular rose.

"Because that's all I could buy yesterday, Tom." Merope frowned back, "Write to me and tell me how she likes it, though. Perhaps if she enjoys your gesture well enough, I'll try to save enough money back to purchase another one soon."

"Thank you, Mother." Tom whispered as Merope pulled him into a tight hug.

"I'd do anything for you, my darling." Merope informed him out of genuine love as she squeezed her son tightly and closed her eyes.

Her loving gesture failed to wipe the curiosity from Tom's calculating mind.

"..........Mother?" He asked quietly.