Chapter 49 - Tom's Path

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

"Tom, my boy! Do come in!" The Minister exclaimed unnecessarily as he held his office door open and allowed his assistant to enter.

Tom nodded as he stepped through the doorway and sat across from the Minister's desk in his usual chair while the leader of magical Britain took his own seat.

The Minister smiled as he clasped his hands together and spoke, "You've done some truly excellent work as my assistant, Tom! You really have."

"Thank you, sir." Tom politely replied.

An uncomfortable yearning tormented him as he wished the Minister would praise his efforts later and allow him to seek out his mate.

Tom swallowed the excess saliva in his mouth as he dreamed of Harriet lying in her nest, heated and ready, calling for him to come and-

"That being said, I hope that you won't take great offense to what I have to tell you this evening." The Minister sighed.

Tom blinked.

His fantasies of Harriet vanished as worry invaded his heart, "............I beg your pardon, sir?"

"My nephew has recently come of age." The Minister nodded, "My brother's begged me to find work for him and I've already stated I'll give him a turn as my assistant.....You know, to help the boy get some footing in the real world, just as I have you!"

Tom's mouth fell open.

"Don't take this personally, Tom." The Minister said with a kind smile, "You are an invaluable resource here at the Ministry, loved by all! Ask anyone! I have no doubt you'll go far! I think Lucius may be still looking for an assistant and I know we have some openings in the Department of Mysteries! Don't worry, I will personally give my recommendation to any position you apply for.....That will help you land on your feet!"

Tom Riddle wasn't interested in landing on his feet.

Tom Riddle was ready to walk.

He rose from his chair as his chest heaved in anger.

The Minister blinked as he noticed his clenched jaw and prepared to calm his angry assistant, but Tom spoke first, "Forgive me, sir, but have I not done everything you've asked of me?"

"You have, yes." The Minister nodded.

"Have I not shined your shoes and cleaned your suits? Reviewed documents assigned to you and briefed you on meetings you refused to attend?" Tom snapped.

"Yes, my boy......You certainly have." The Minister frowned.

"I have followed you, spoken for you, given up time with my wife and daughter......Have I not even come into the office on weekends? Late at night?.....Whenever you've sent for me? For whatever reason, no matter how menial?!" Tom hissed.

"You have, yes! Of course you have!" The Minister exclaimed.

".........In return, all I've asked is for you to contact the International Board of Magical Medicine to help my infant daughter.....and you haven't even managed that!" Tom sneered, "Now you intend to throw me away? To discard me like a meaningless pile of old robes?"

"Merlin's Beard, Tom!" The Minister cried as a scowl of enraged frustration formed on his chubby face, "What would you have me do? Deny my nephew? Surely you can understand! Doesn't your family mean more to you than anything else in the world?"

"They certainly do, Minister....Forgive me." Tom sighed as he placed a hand over his face and turned around as if to hide his shameful display of distraught dismay.