Chapter 67 - Child's Play

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Mae pretended not to notice the pack of scurrying Slytherin boys led by Scorpius who rushed towards her, intent on grabbing Polly.

She had made it look like an accident, as if her favorite doll had simply slipped from her arms as she walked down the corridor.

Overcome with celebratory glee, Scorpius and his friends whispered to each other with arrogant smirks as he hurriedly hid Polly under his robes while they dashed back to their dormitory.

After they returned, ignorantly assuming they had remained undiscovered, Scorpius's three friends blinked as he removed the eerie doll from its concealment within his robes.

"........Now what are we supposed to do with it?" One boy asked.

"Wait for the Minister's daughter to cry like a child, of course." Scorpius smirked.

".........Then what?" Another boy questioned.

".......Then we'll destroy this silly thing....Then she'll really cry." Scorpius answered as he frowned at Polly.

"No we won't!" The third boy retorted.

Scorpius shot his disagreeing comrade a questioning glare.

"When Mae Riddle cries for her doll, I'm going to give it back to her." The third boy grinned, "Right after she agrees to share a Butterbeer with me in Hogsmeade."

"How pathetic are you to rely on extortion to find a date?" Scorpius snapped.

His rudeness disguised his fury that his friend had unknowingly stolen his idea.

"I don't think of it as extortion." The third boy shrugged, ".......It's just a simple trade. The doll for an hour of her time, I think that's fair enough."

As the boys began to argue amongst themselves, Scorpius carelessly tossed Polly onto his bed.

No one looked over as the doll landed with a small thud, but the malice that glowed in her glass eyes as the sun set outside would have sent a shiver down any onlooker's spine.

————————————————————-

Mae remained separated from the rest of her house after Polly's abduction that day.

While she pretended to tend to her academic studies, she conducted a bit of her own research in the library before she finally reported to the Great Hall for dinner.

Scorpius and the other Slytherin boys blinked in disbelief as she sat at the table, perfectly calm while she ate her meal.

One of Scorpius's three accomplices leaned over and whispered in his ear, "Has she noticed by now? She has to have noticed, hasn't she?.....Can I go ahead and ask her about the Butterbeer?"

Scorpius elbowed him sharply in the ribs before he called across the table to Mae, ".......Where's your doll?"

Mae failed to look up from the old book she clutched in her free hand while she answered, "How should I know?"

Scorpius froze.

His eyes narrowed as suspicion coursed through his veins.

There was a disconcerting stillness in her voice that almost sounded like disguised gloating.

The sound elicited instinctive dread in all those who heard it.

"You are her Mummy, aren't you?" Scorpius mocked, "I thought all Mummies knew where their dollies were?"