Chapter 25 - Harriet's News

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Tom lost his unhindered use of the Basilisk in his bargain with Dumbledore, but he and Harriet gained the right to complete their Hogwarts education in spite of what had happened.

By the end of their second week of detention, Harriet began to notice that after she finished grading papers for McGonagall each night, she went to bed with a terrible headache.

Every morning, the pain returned as soon as she opened her eyes.

Most afternoons, Harriet stopped by the Hospital Wing after Divination class to ask Madam Pomfrey for a dose of Pain Relief Potion.

Professor Trelawney had started giving her strange looks during class, but Harriet paid no attention to those bizarre stares.

Hogwarts' Divination teacher had become famous for her odd mannerisms.

Madam Pomfrey performed a quick, diagnostic exam each time Harriet came to report the pain in her head.

One afternoon, after eight straight days of prescribing the medication, she frowned at Harriet and informed her, "This is the last day I can give this to you, Miss Potter."

".......What?" Harriet asked with wide eyes, "B-But....Pain Relief Potion is the only thing that will stop the ache! What am I supposed to do?!"

"You're supposed to see a healer who specializes in ailments beyond those reported in a normal school day for a more thorough workup." Madam Pomfrey sniffed.

Around the Hospital Wing, ill and infirmed students rustled uncomfortably in their beds.

"I would do it myself, Miss Potter, but this is really beyond my scope of practice and I have so many others to look after.....The weekend is coming quickly, I would advise you to make an appointment for Saturday. That'll give you some time to rest afterwards." She nodded as she handed Harriet her final dose of potion.

Harriet frowned as she asked, "Madam Pomfrey.....?"

Madam Pomfrey mirrored her patient's expression as she waited silently.

".......Do you think it's anything serious?" Harriet asked.

"Surely not, Miss Potter. It may just take something a bit stronger than Pain Relief Potion to cure, that's all. Run along now, you'll be late to your next class." Hogwarts' healer nodded.

"Right......thanks." Harriet replied before she turned and left the infirmary.

As Madam Pomfrey watched her go, a worried frown pulled on her lips.

—————————————————————

Three days later, halfway through Saturday morning, Harriet left the healer's office in Hogsmeade with her eyes wide and her breath coming in gasps.

She tried to assuage her own shock by reminding herself that she had not bothered to use any contraception during her week with Tom.

Why should she have been so surprised by what she had learned?

Harriet swallowed thickly as she slowed her pace and took a deep breath.

In a single, dizzying second, she contemplated exactly how much her world had changed with the utterance of a single sentence from the healer.

She couldn't just race down the street and push her lungs to the brink of exhaustion as she dashed back to the castle, no.

Harriet pressed one of her hands over her lower belly as a chilly, autumn breeze blew past.