Chapter 9 - Firsts

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

The days of Harriet's visit with Tom and Merope were punctuated by pleasant conversations and a warm sense of comfort despite the bitter chill of winter.

Merope worked a large portion of the time which left Harriet and Tom alone to snog, chat, and spend the hours in each other's company.

Regardless, Tom never abandoned his quest for revenge against Harriet's misbehavior.

After thoroughly researching the ins and outs of magical law through letters to Draco Malfoy, he felt confident that he had found a viable way to get even with his darling for teasing him.

On the morning of his birthday, Tom quietly cracked Harriet's door open and peered inside her room.

His mother had presented him with a new set of school robes moments earlier before she had left for work.

Merope had already pleased Tom that morning, but Harriet had not.

As Tom stared at her from her doorway, it irritated him that she continued to slumber.

It was his birthday........she needed to wake up and pay attention to him.

He silently withdrew his wand, pointed it at Harriet, and whispered, "LEGILIMENS."

A few seconds later, her brow furrowed as she writhed in bed while Tom slyly hid behind her door.

He had much to learn yet about Legilimency, but he succeeded in placing visions of shadows in Harriet's mind that roused her from her sleep as she sat bolt upright in bed with wide eyes and cried out, "AAAAHHH!"

Tom burst into Harriet's room with his own eyes widened in feigned surprise as he played the part of a hero while he shouted, "Sweetling, I'm here! I'm here!......What's the matter?"

Harriet gasped as she blindly reached for him in her overwhelming bewilderment.

Tom promptly rushed to her bedside with a sympathetic frown and eagerly let her cling to him for comfort.

Tom Riddle greatly enjoyed it whenever Harriet Potter depended on him for something.

".......What's the matter?" Tom asked as he hid his smirk and rubbed her arm soothingly, "What's wrong?"

"I......I had a bad dream." Harriet confessed as she shivered against him, "There was something dark and cold......all around me.....Tom, I-"

"-ssh." He whispered while he kissed her cheek. Tom patted her back as he rocked her gently and purred in his velvet voice, "It's alright........I'm here, I'm here.....There's no reason to be frightened."

Harriet sighed as she relaxed against him and murmured into his neck, "Happy Birthday, Tom."

"Thank you, sweetling." He answered with a smug grin while Harriet crawled into his lap and held onto him as she draped her arms around his shoulders.

That had been exactly what Tom had wanted, for Harriet to hold onto him and let him feel her warmth while she wished him a happy birthday.

A short while later, he sat with Harriet at the dining table while she ate her breakfast.

The pair chatted casually until an owl appeared on the windowsill, slipped a letter through a wide crack in the glass, and flew away.

Tom and Harriet blinked as the letter opened itself, formed into the shape of a face, and spoke its own lines: