Chapter 69 - Salazar Slytherin

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

"What kind of failure are you, anyway?" One Slytherin girl chorused as she and her accomplices chased Mae through the house's common room.

Voices chimed in with her, eager to bash the Minister's daughter.

"You can't even fly! My brother can fly and he's only five!"

"Some Minister's daughter you are! I had heard you were actually talented!"

Mae didn't quite understand what had happened.

Madam Hooch had been working with her while the rest of the class zoomed around on their brooms.

Yet, no matter how hard she had tried, she couldn't seem to call the magical object into her hands.

Her voice was firm.

Her posture had been correct.

For the first time in her life, Mae had been completely and utterly humiliated.

Tears of mortification had streamed down her face while Madam Hooch barked orders intended to be seen as helpful.

Class had at last been dismissed, but it had been then when Mae's true torment started.

Finally finding a weakness in their austere classmate, the Slytherin girls jumped on the chance to berate their least favourite dorm mate and find an outlet for their jealousy.

Rich, prestigious, beautiful, and already much too popular with the boys, Mae Riddle had quickly and easily become the most hated girl in her year.

After the fourth year Slytherin girls had landed, they had chased her off the field and through the castle in such a heckling mob that Mae herself had nearly forgotten who she was by the time they left her huddled in a remote corner, far away from professors' eyes, covered in scratches and bruises.

Mae had never known defeat until that moment.

Left to mend her own broken ego and aching wounds, she drew her knees up to her chest as she wrapped her arms around them and began to weep.

Who would hear?

Who would know?

Content to wallow in self-pity, a stoic voice with an echo of an eerie hiss rudely interrupted her.

"Get up...........silly girl. Is this where my bloodline has led?"

Mae sniffed as she looked up.

She furrowed her brow in confusion as she glanced around the empty corridor and saw absolutely no one nearby.

Without warning, the voice spoke again, "Get up! Or I shall send the Basilisk after you.....Mark my words, girl, I may be dead, but it can still hear my voice and respond!"

Threats always irritated Mae.

She looked over quickly in the direction of the voice and blinked at the large, elegant portrait she saw hanging on the wall.

Anyone else may have struggled, but all of Tom's children had been educated on enough family history to recognize the man in the painting.

"You're Salazar Slytherin." Mae scowled.

"And who are you?" Slytherin snapped, "I see my blood pulsing through your veins, silly girl, but I see not my heart nor my ambition in one who chooses to waste their time weeping in a slumped heap!"

Mae stood to her feet as her tears dried, embarrassed then in an entirely different way.

"My name is Mae Riddle." She said very defiantly, "Son of Tom Riddle, junior. Granddaughter to Merope Gaunt. That is where your lineage has led."